Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cooling turns on after engine off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SL63
Engine cooling turns on after engine off

I have searched through the forum for possible answers on this but did not find anything. Hopefully, someone here might recognize this situation.

My 2013 SL63 has recently started turning on the engine cooling fan after I shut off the engine. Both the oil temp and the water temp are at normal operating levels: water at about 199 and oil at about 212. Ambient air temp is in the mid 50s. The fan stays on for 5 to 10 minutes and then shuts off.

The dealer finds no fault codes now, although the engine light came on once. The main battery was replaced because there were some low voltage readings. Possibly because of running the fan with the engine off. Relays were checked and found to be normal.

I don't believe I am driving differently than I was before this occurred. Just normal around town or freeway drives of less than 30 minutes. I just don't remember that the car was doing this before.

Is this normal? Is the engine computer getting a sensor reading that the engine compartment is too hot? Is there something else that the computer senses that tells it that it needs to cool something down?

Thanks for any help or comments.