Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision time...OEM or aftermarket windshield?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Decision time...OEM or aftermarket windshield?

Ugh...Progressive. My windshield is cracked and the people they go through basically say they will pay $590 for a new 2000 CL500 windshield. My deductible is $500 meaning they will pay $90. Dealer is probably going to run me $1200-1300 for an OEM windshield and labor.

So I have a few options.....
1-Get it done $1300 OEM out of my pocket at the dealer.
2-Have it done by Progressive's glass shop for $590, which pretty much is also all out of pocket.
3-Call around to a junkyard and see if I can find a used windshield?

I just have worries about whether the glass Progressive puts in will be as good as OEM glass....they did say it will have the rain sensor, but will it have the infrared glass, will it have the two black sun blocks by the center console?
Are all glass created equal pretty much, with the exception of the little Benz logo?
If I resell this car, will it be a big turnoff if my windshield is not OEM?
Old 02-23-2004, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: Decision time...OEM or aftermarket windshield?

Originally posted by mjr24
Ugh...Progressive. My windshield is cracked and the people they go through basically say they will pay $590 for a new 2000 CL500 windshield. My deductible is $500 meaning they will pay $90. Dealer is probably going to run me $1200-1300 for an OEM windshield and labor.

So I have a few options.....
1-Get it done $1300 OEM out of my pocket at the dealer.
2-Have it done by Progressive's glass shop for $590, which pretty much is also all out of pocket.
3-Call around to a junkyard and see if I can find a used windshield?

I just have worries about whether the glass Progressive puts in will be as good as OEM glass....they did say it will have the rain sensor, but will it have the infrared glass, will it have the two black sun blocks by the center console?
Are all glass created equal pretty much, with the exception of the little Benz logo?
If I resell this car, will it be a big turnoff if my windshield is not OEM?
Progressive doesn't offer any window protection? Like on mine, we pay an extra $10/month or something around there and you get full windshield/window coverage. Cracked, smashed, etc, replaced with nothing out of your pocket.

IMO, i would go with OEM. As your windshield is an important part of the car. I'm guessing aftermarket windshields vs OEM windshields may shatter different, godforbid if you were in an accident.

I'm pretty sure mine is OEM (i've had mine replaced twice because of rocks on the highway). I call up J&N phillips (pretty big glass shop, try a search on them) and tell them I need a new windshield. They grab the insurance info, make, model, year and order the glass. When I look at the glass vs the windshields, it's got the same logo's as the other ones (I think MB ones have like a "E" in a circle and a subscripted number?).

my .02
Old 02-23-2004, 04:55 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
My guess is that they want to use a PPG windshield and not the Sekurit. If so, either are quality products and should encounter no problems so long as the installation is done well, especially the seals. I can't say anything much about other brands.

As an aside, pretty much all automotive windsheilds are "weak" by design, compared to the side windows. You can crack and smash a windshield with your bare hands if you smack it hard enough, which is what it is supposed to do if you smack it with your noggin. The side windows are much more impact resistant, so don't try the bare hand smack on the sides.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Stay away from Safe-t-lite glass. PPG is a decent second choice to the OEM. What about findig an independent shop that will use OEM glass or supply it yourself? Look for a "for as long as you own the car" gurantee for leaks.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
No question about it go with the OEM. All of your concerns will evaporate and you will have peace of mind. Whats another 500 bucks. If there is a problem with the aftermarket ,and there may be, you will be kicking yourself. I would also have it installed by your dealer or by the glass shop that they use. This should address the potential leak problems
Old 02-23-2004, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well seeing how all glass must meet minimum DOT certifications, it really doesnt matter. I have had 3 windshields put in my 2002 c230 because of rocks. I had an integra for 11 years and not one windshield. I personally beleive that the MB original glass is thinner than that used ny other manufacturers but that it just meets the minimum standards for DOT. Just my .02
Old 02-25-2004, 09:16 PM

11 ML350
Also what kind of car do you have?
Dose it have a rain sensor, becasue if it does some aftermarket windshield don't come with the bracket.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
They wanted to put in something than PPG. I got quoted 785 for the PPG one, 1300 for the OEM one.
Good news is I told this to my father, who actually works for Daimler-Chrysler, and he said people he talked to thought that Mercedes would cover it.
I called MBUSA, and although the warranty just ran out....they said to take it in and if it indeed is a stress crack (versus rock chip), they said there is a good chance the service manager of the dealer can make a post-warranty consideration and replace it free. I am crossing my fingers, as I will take it in Friday probably, if Mercedes does this, they have certainly won me over. If they dont cover it...I wont be happy and that might be it for Mercedes for me....windshields should not do that. My Lexus and BMW were each 5-10 years old and never had that happen during winter. A $90K CL class shouldnt have it happen either.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:37 AM

I cracked my windshield by a rock on highway a few months ago. I demanded an OEM glass, aftermarket glass was not even considered. I called the dealer and they contracted the work out to a local glass shop and quoted me $1200 for glass and labor. I called Safelite and they directed me to a local shop 5 minutes away from my house. I spoke to the manager and explained to him that I did not want to go through my insurance company, I wantede to pay out of pocket. I demanded an OEM glass, nothing else would be considered. He was very helpful and ordered the glass with MB with my VIN number. 2 weeks later he personally installed the glass with one other employee. He said he picked this other person to help because he wanted it to be perfect. The best part is, he ordered me an OEM MB glass and installed it for $390. No problems with the glass so far.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
.........if it turns out that his windshield is covered under warranty then that is fine. I have had windhields replaced in the past and it absolutely did not make difference OEM or no OEM. They supposedly sell you a non OEM glass with OEM specifications(whatever that means). My biggest problem is watching them replace the windshield. It is not a pretty sight. It lloked as if they ripped and tore the old glass out with wires and things everywhere. I was astonished that the car did not have some type of electrical malfunction afterwards. In a $90K car, I'll probably prefer it be done at the dealer, but not because of the type of Glass.

Ted
Old 03-01-2004, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
.........if it turns out that his windshield is covered under warranty then that is fine. I have had windhields replaced in the past and it absolutely did not make difference OEM or no OEM. They supposedly sell you a non OEM glass with OEM specifications(whatever that means). My biggest problem is watching them replace the windshield. It is not a pretty sight. It lloked as if they ripped and tore the old glass out with wires and things everywhere. I was astonished that the car did not have some type of electrical malfunction afterwards. In a $90K car, I'll probably prefer it be done at the dealer, but not because of the type of Glass.

Ted
Ya...i must say, I cringed at watching them remove my windshield. They had to take a power saw (recipricating saw?) along the edges to get the damn thing out!