Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this SDconnect 4 OK to use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Previous: 2011 E550 4MATIC Current: 2018 AMG C 43 Coupe, 2021 GLC 300
Is this SDconnect 4 OK to use? (FIXED)

I have a secondhand Chinese mux that works fine with a flaky membrane switch cable, and the battery life is non-existent (it struggles to get through the 14 hour forming cycle described in the manual). I use it to maintain my W212, it's not a business. No Internet connection, no need to reprogram modules. Laptop running Xentry 9/15.

I can fix things so have scoured the web and cannot find replacement parts. For example, just the membrane switch/cable, even the main case with the switch and cable. Seems I have to risk buying another unit direct from China. Recent posts on other forums suggest clone quality has dropped more than usual. I use PayPal as a safeguard, but truthfully, I'm tired of troubleshooting and arguing over goods that have missing screws and/or don't work as advertised.

I don't use wireless or the SD card. Everything I want/need to know about the mux can be queried using Tools from the laptop. Mux boots itself up/shuts down during connect/disconnect, so to me the membrane switches are not essential to operation. Batteries I'm not sure about.

Given casual usage, would you keep using or replace?

Last edited by BMWtoAMG; 03-08-2016 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Update in case it helps others
Old 03-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,051 Likes on 972 Posts
1999 E300TD
Dump the mux!!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Previous: 2011 E550 4MATIC Current: 2018 AMG C 43 Coupe, 2021 GLC 300
FIXED

Originally Posted by Plutoe
Dump the mux!!
Fixed the mux. Something told me this one just needs a little love. Learned a lot.

1. Batteries were junk, new ones (rated @ 2500 mAH ) holding charge nicely.

2. Fixed the keypad cable. They can be cut back, exposing fresh conductive paste. Cleaned connector contacts. You can carefully remove the retaining clip on the connector, which makes inserting the cable 100x easier. Put the clip back in while holding the cable steady with hemostats; I usually add a drop of RTV for insurance.

3. I may add a battery switch to the front cover. Don't like the stress to relays when attaching the shorting bar across batteries. Bad design.