Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W203 Benz problem -- should I get a new TCU?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz C230K; 2008 Mercedes E320 BLUETEC
W203 Benz problem -- should I get a new TCU?

Hello!!

I'm a long-time Benz enthusiast (currently on my 3rd) and I've traditionally had very minimal problems with my cars. Whenever a problem would arise, it tended to be mechanical in nature, and I would rectify the problem personally.

Just yesterday, I noticed that the "limp mode" of my 2003 Mercedes Benz C230 (Kompressor) engaged, seemingly out of no where.

Although I never had transmission problems with the car, I DID replace the 13-pin electric connector/spacer (pilot Bushing) exactly two years ago when I noticed a fluid leak when I lifted the car (for an unrelated reason). Since then, and before then, no problems worth mentioning.

Anyways, so today I take the car to Canadian Tire (a Canadian chain with auto mechanics) to inspect the car, and see what problems it might have. The check-up was half the price of a dealer check up, hence me going in this route.

They came up with 8 error codes (which I'll post below), along with the recommendation that I should invest in a brand new Transmission Control Module/Unit, which costs around $2000 just for the part apparently.

Of course, before I invest in that much money I want to make sure that this part is actually the culprit, and that there isn't maybe a smaller part that went faulty before I go and replace the TCU.

What would you guys do in my situation? The car has 182000KMs and to my knowledge the transmission fluid has never been replaced.

I also checked out the area near the TCU, and the unit itself seemed fine. It wasn't drenched in fluid or anything, although there was remnants of fluid on the floor beneath it.

The OBD II Codes:

P2600
P2315
P2203
P200A
P201A
P201B
P201C
P2046

(apparently the first three are transmission specific...?)

I seriously appreciate any and all advice!
Old 06-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
I think someone is trying to sell you a potato farm in Yellowknife!!

The three fault codes that you think are transmission related may be incorrect. The only transmission fault code in DAS is the 2203=faulty speed sensor,nothing to do with a faulty TCU.

The other two codes are not listed in DAS---I suggest you go back to whom ever and ask them to define the codes.

In any event the speed sensor is integral to the conductor plate, change the plate!!
The following users liked this post:
dalabreezy (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
I think someone is trying to sell you a potato farm in Yellowknife!!

The three fault codes that you think are transmission related may be incorrect. The only transmission fault code in DAS is the 2203=faulty speed sensor,nothing to do with a faulty TCU.

The other two codes are not listed in DAS---I suggest you go back to whom ever and ask them to define the codes.

In any event the speed sensor is integral to the conductor plate, change the plate!!
God bless you, your family, and your family's family.

Those are the only codes they gave me, and they wouldn't give me any definitions on them past what you'd find online.

They said they didn't know what to make of the codes before we swapped the TCM, which was their first course of action.

Again, the car used to have a transmission leak problem, which I fixed two years ago with that pilot bushing.

So would you say a good first step is swapping out the conductor plate?

I've been calling around Mercedes Techs across my city today, and I've gotten three different opinions. One said TCM-failures are super rare, and that i should bring my car into his shop. The other said the two failures he thinks it is is either the valves or the TCM. Third said it was the TCM.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
I would go back to the eskimo who said-----"I don't know,but lets run a quick test on DAS to find the errors"---If none of them suggested DAS then run away and find someone who has the diagnostic software!!
Old 06-01-2016, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
I would go back to the eskimo who said-----"I don't know,but lets run a quick test on DAS to find the errors"---If none of them suggested DAS then run away and find someone who has the diagnostic software!!
lol, none suggested DAS-- but I'm sure the authorized MB dealers know what it is. Even i'm pretty unaware of what it is/it entails.