Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 SLK 55 AMG Pefrormance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2016 | 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SLK 55 AMG
2012 SLK 55 AMG Pefrormance?

Hi Guys,
I know there is most likely a simple solution to my discussion. Hopefully the tech guys can help. My 2007 55 AMG was more fun to drive than the 2012 55 AMG. I find the 12 AMG is more computer controlled than I would like. When I accelerate hard from a dead stop I get no wheel spin, the electronic stability system interrupts the spin by limiting the engine output and possibly applying the brakes to the wheels which may be close to breaking free.
I have turned off the ESP and still the same. When I drive in SPORT mode, it appears to hold the rpm up and shifts down quicker but still not able to enjoy a little wheel spin on take off. I spoke to the Benz dealership where I get my service done and the tech who works on the AMG's did not know if this was normal or not. I understand the technology and from a racing perspective, wheel spin is just lost time but some times a guy just likes to play around. My owners manual suggests turning off ESP should work. I just had all the software checked and it was all up to date and no fault codes present.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rocky.
Old 06-30-2016 | 11:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Hey Rocky, got your PM. It's been a while since I had my 2012 SLK55, but I do remember some wheel spin when mashing the throttle. I eventually had it tuned by RENNtech which certainly helped, but even prior to that I was able to get some good slip with TC off. You can have the car dyno'ed to see if you are down in power? Or do some performance timing with a Vbox or 1/4 mile to see where you are. It does sound strange.
Old 07-02-2016 | 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SLK 55 AMG
Thanks CED357.
Your response is greatly appreciated.
The car has great torque and power. I'm not convinced the traction control is releasing even though the icon is lighting up in the dash after I turn it off. I think the dyno and tuning is great places to start.
Thanks again,
Rocky Brawn.