Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with A/C

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MB C230 Sport
Need Help with A/C

I have a 2006 c230. I've only had it a few months and I'm having some major problems with the AC... And I live in Phoenix where it is hotter than hell itself. Here is what is going on.

The AC will sometimes work very well, and other times it blows very hot air. I've replaced the Condensor Sensor... No fix. Had it evacuated and recharged and it blew very cold for about an hour, then stopped. Today it has been working most of the day. It may be blowing very cold, then it smells humid and warm for a few seconds and begins blowing hot. If I'm stopped at a light, I put it in park, turn the car off, remove the key, and turn it back on. Sometimes doing this will result in the AC blowing cold again. Other times, I cannot get the AC to work at all for a few days. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and very much not capable of spending a great deal of money to hunt down this problem (I'm a teacher... Not a lot of disposable income).

Any ideas or input would really be appreciated!
Old 07-13-2016, 06:53 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
mb, saab, acura, dodge
First thing I would do, when it quits working, leave it run & open hood. Check to see if electric fan is running. Then see if low side hose is cold( sweating, larger one). This will determine if it's operating properly under the hood. Could be the compressor clutch getting hot and shutting down the compressor. Good luck
Old 07-13-2016, 04:54 PM

2006 MB C230 Sport
When it shuts off the fan is still running. The low port side is cold only when the AC is working. When the AC starts blowing hot the low port side gets really hot too.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:16 PM

mb, saab, acura, dodge
Next thing is checking for voltage going to compressor, not easy. It appears the engagement clutch on compressor is getting hot and shutting down
Old 07-14-2016, 02:06 AM

2006 MB C230 Sport
Ugh. It worked for about 5 minutes today and then HOT the rest. I had to run errands and it was 115 out... So that was fun. I checked the compressor clutch with AC on and off. Nothing changes when I turn it on or off, it is spinning/engaged the entire time. Is is supposed or be like this?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:34 PM

mb, saab, acura, dodge
It has some kind of internal clutch set-up. You're going to have to check for voltage going to the clutch & see if it has power when the low side gets hot