Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W210 E320 Coolant Flush Help MBTECH

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E320 Coolant Flush Help MBTECH

What's the right procedure to do a coolant flush for E320 ? Just open the plug and let it drain out? In addition, where is the plug located?

ANother question, is it possible to drain the engine oil from under the vehicle instead of the "suction method" as described in mercedesshop.com?

Sorry for these ignorant questions MBTECH but I'm trying this once on my own~ ANy help is much appreciated
Old 03-18-2004, 06:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
I'll help with what I can. The oil drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan. You will need to remove some under fairings to get to it. About four or six small bolts. The pet**** valve is located on the bottom of the radiator facing the engine. You should be able to see it from above if you look closely with a flashlight. Otherwise once you remove the under fairings you will see it plain as day from underneath. When I had my 99 E430, I found www.alldata.com to be priceless with answering questions like yours and more in depth procedures like brake changes, and wiindow regulator repairs. The first year is $24.95, with no maximum access limits. It also shows diagrams, and lists procedures and factory part numbers. plus you can print out as much as you want. And if you get it dirty you can throw it away or print another one.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also drain the engine block ...

I'm not sure if you have a V6 or inline 6, but my '96 E-320 also has a drain pet**** on the engine block right (passenger) side. You should drain the radiator and block, and then replace with new 50/50 MB coolant and water mixture. The block holds a lot. Unless your car has been neglected, I don't think you need a caustic flush. If you desperately want to flush it, just flush it with clear water. Good luck.
John
Old 03-19-2004, 08:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Here's how I service the cooling system on any car:

1. Drain as much coolant as possible on your car. On my M104 engine (inline six) there's a red knob on the bottom of the radiator, passenger side, to drain the radiator, plus there's a drain on the passenger side of the block.

2. Close drains.

3. Remove the thermostat. Put cover back on.

4. Disconnect the upper radiator hose at the radiator.

5. Flush system by running water through the upper radiator hose into the engine until water runs clear.

6. Disconnect heater hoses and flush through the heater core.

7. Flush overflow tank.

7. Open petkocks again to drain water.

8. Put everything back together, including thermostat, button everything up.

9. Pour in the require amount of coolant - 50% of specified cooling system capacity. Top off with water, preferably distilled.

You can save some money by using Zerex G 05 antifreeze instead of MB antifreeze. Zerex G 05 is virtually the same thing, meets MB requirements, and is considerably cheaper.