Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on purchasing a project w203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 c320
Help on purchasing a project w203

Main question: Is this worth buying and fixing?

Sorry for the story, but here it goes:

So I went to check out a 2003 c230 supercharged 4cyl tonight under the impression that it had one misfire code (p0304). So I get there and car starts up and has an odd idle for a few seconds and then levels out. Normal idle, albeit, rough, but pretty steady. So I plug my scanner in and there's some pending codes. The car has no power and can barely go over 30mph before it no longer has enough power to keep pushing. Guy wanted $1400 before I went to check it out. After test driving, while I tried to accelerate, there was a rattling noise that was audible for a quick second at which point I let off the gas and it stopped immediately. Supercharger seems a little noisy at idle, not a good noisy. But it's not super loud. Under normal acceleration, shifting around 2-3k rpm, everything sounds normal. Anywho, here are the codes that I got.

p0101 "Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range/Performance"
p0108 "Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High"
p0638 "Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance Bank 1"
p0301 "Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected"
p0302 "2"
p0303 "3"
p0304 "4"

Could a bad MAF be causing all these issues?? When I clear the code, the idle smooths out for a little bit before returning to rough after the check engine light comes back on, usually after revving it a little bit. I cleared it a few times and will also post the sequence in which the codes showed up after a fresh start. Also, the owner said he changed out the Throttle Actuator to see if that would help anything, but now that is throwing a code as well and kills the accelerator in the middle of driving it or when you try to take off from a stop.

First scan at idle before first clear:
p0301
p0302
p0304

Second scan at idle after first clear:
p0101
p0304
p0301

Third scan after clearing and driving about 1000 feet:
p0101
p0638
p0108

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I went to look at this car to make a purchase but just worried about what the issue(s) may be. The guy only wants $1400 because he said he wasn't going to put any more work into it. Mileage is 171,xxx all stock minus some hard piping.