Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission disengage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
05 Mercedes SL500
Transmission disengage

Two weeks ago my 7-speed transmission slipped out of gear at a stop light. After I waved everybody by, I put the car in Park and back in Drive and all seemed well. When I got home, I searched the Internet for information.

Several days ago this happened again, but this time it only helped for a few blocks before it slipped out of gear again. Then there was a serious clunk and I landed in limp mode (2nd gear). I drove 11 miles on US1 at rush hour at 25 miles an hour. I parked in my garage. One forum suggested that low tranny fluid might be the problem. I ordered a tranny dipstick and fluid which arrived today.

Now I find that my 722.9 transmission has no way to check or add fluid. Without having my SL taken to the dealer, what can I do?
Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E350
My advice to you is take it to a shop with DAS. Have them check/clear all codes. I had same issue in my 06 E350. There were small intermittent codes being logged. He stated that the AUX battery may be going bad (replaced a year earlier with new). After he cleared all codes for me I took for test drive. No issues since for couple of months. Traded in car so don't have any longer. But did work great for that short time. Shop charged me nothing for clearing codes. Good luck...