Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal in mirror blinking faster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 A180 CDI
Turn signal in mirror blinking faster

Hey all,

I've started to notice that my LED turn indicator in the driver's side mirror blinks too fast at times, flashing rapidly.

It happens very irregularly. I noticed it first when I locked my car in a parking lot.
I then tried to use the left turn signal lights, and it also blinked faster.

But most of the time it doesn't happen and all turn signals work as they should.

At first I thought a bulb needed replacement, but they all work.

Since I'm not knowledgeable about cars, I google'd some info and looked at my grounding wires, they look a little corroded, but are not loose.
There were 3 or 4 brown cables coming together at the same point on the right front side under the hood, so I'm guessing those were the right ones.

I tried looking at the bulb connectors, but they're all in a "sealed" compartment and pretty hard to get a good look at in the w169. So didn't really check my bulbs;
I might take out the left and right indicator lights next to the headlights, as those seem not hard to do.

I looked at my fuse box, but really, I just looked, I know nothing about electronics (or cars for that matter), so I just made sure nothing was loose.
Nothing seemed to be broken or burnt through at first glance.

anyway,

I tried my blinkers a ton of times and most of the time they work as normal.
so I'm really confused as to why the driver's side mirror LEDs speed up sometime. There must be a reason.
Is there a bulb on it's way out? I took out and checked all the bulbs in the rear, all good there.

I wanted to go to a garage, but I'm probably gonna show up and it will all be working fine (that's how it usually goes)
I haven't yet found a pattern when it's most likely to happen, but I'll keep an eye on it

Has anybody ever have this experience?
I'm curious to see what your solution was

Last edited by koalekaidye; 02-13-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300, 2014 GLK 250 Bluetec
You may possibly have an LED within that turn signal being out, or it could be chafed wiring harness to that mirror causing it. Its a common thing for the harness to be chafed which can lead to it being intermittent. If it is then the remedy unfortunately is the whole folding mirror assembly. When its happening you can look to see if all the LEDs are actually coming on. Even if they are, it could be a wiring issue. Mercedes is so particular with resistance values, that even if your bulbs are phsically coming on, if the ecu does not like the resistance values it will think a bulb is out.