Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 intermittent shudder when stopped

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 AMG
E55 intermittent shudder when stopped

I have a 2000 E55 with 45K miles. This intermittent problem seems to be coming more frequent lately. When stopped at a light, transmission in drive, after about 45 seconds, the car will go through a quick shudder (1 or 2 seconds). It is similar to the feeling of shifting the transmission into reverse and back into drive - but not quite that abrupt. The tach doesn't appear to move while this happens and I don't hear anything - just feel the car shake. It doesn't happen at every light, and never seems to happen twice at the same stop.

I'm curious to know if other people especially other AMG owners have experienced this, or if anybody has suggestions of what is causing it - before I take it into the dealer. Transmission was serviced due to small leak just before I bought the car - at 43K miles. The diagnostics in the dash indicate "No Malfunction' for what that's worth. Fortunately I have a few months left on the warranty.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
I had this once in my w202...it would shudder at a stop light, but my tach did move down a little and the bounce back up.

I had my car in for an oil change anyhow and had them check it out (as it was only once in a awhile, i thought of it). they came back and told me it was O2 sensor, replaced it and hasn't happened since.

check your O2 sensors...good luck!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB E55 AMG
My 02 E55 will do this if you have the tranny set for W (winter driving, lowest gear 2nd) if you then, at a stop, manually shift from 2 to 1. Other than that, no similar effect.

TJC