Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing self folding mirrors mechanism?

Old 04-25-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon, 2007 S600, 2009 SL550 with ABC removed, 2011 S400 with Hybrid removed
Fixing self folding mirrors mechanism?

Hi, the transporter driver folded my 2007 S600 side mirrors by force not by locking the car as I told him, and broke the self folding mechanism on both sides. I let him off the hook as he was paying the damages out of his pocket and a dealer's repair could probably bankrupt him.

Has anyone fixed those or know the repair procedures - what needs to be removed to access the mechanism and what part of the mechanism need replacement? Buying new mirrors and painting the covers to match are not options as the car is in all original paint and pristine condition so I don't want any repaints. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon, 2007 S600, 2009 SL550 with ABC removed, 2011 S400 with Hybrid removed
Good news, the car has fixed itself!!! Both mirrors were wobbly and were not folding after the incident. Then the aux trunk batter went dead when I was not driving the car fixing the ignition problems. Finally I re-charged the battery, all the electronics got reset in the process. Car entered the rodeo (ABC suspension calibration) and was jumping around for something like 20 minutes when parked with engine running and when driven. And the mirrors suddenly folded FORWARD. I pushed them back into normal position and now they are very firm and folding/unfolding properly on the car locking!! So resetting the electrical system makes the wobbly hanging mirrors to be firm, stiff and working like like new!