Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are Hydraulic Compensators...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Unhappy What are Hydraulic Compensators...

"Exam revealed collapse lifter's), checked for oil delivery exam revealed low delivery reaching intake elements on right bank due to restrictions in cam bearing bridge. R&R right camshaft bearing bridge and replace all hydraulic compensators (6) on right (intake) side. Cleaned oil passage and verified proper oil flow."

This was done on my C32 AMG with 800 miles. How bad did it hurt my engine? What does this mean for the future life of the engine?
Old 11-26-2001, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Sounds like your oil journals got clogged ? What happened.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Nothing...

My engine just started ticking after 200 miles. No hard driving or anything. I'm still trying to understand what it is that they fixed. I understand the clog but not the rest.
Old 11-27-2001, 08:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
The "hydraulic compensators" are hydraulic valve lifters. Hydraulic valve lifters allow the cam followers (rocker arms in the case of your engine) to operate with zero clearance in relation to the cam lobes. Without them a clearance would be necessary. Periodic checking and adjustment of that clearance would be required. Provided the oil flow to all other parts of the engine was normal, and provided that the techs checked all the valve train components after the restriction (i.e. camshafts, camshaft bearings, hydraulic compensators, rocker arms, etc.) the engine should be fine.