Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Full of Water =/≠ Engine Destruction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
Gas Tank Full of Water =/≠ Engine Destruction

I need help figuring out what has happened.

2006 E350

Wife was running very low and filled up with premium. She made it 1/4 mile and engine sputtered and died. Would crank intermittently for a second or two and she was able to get it out of the road.

I assumed she had run it out of gas and filled up too late. I proceeded to try to start it by turning the key on and off to hopefully prime it. After a while it seemed to crank for longer and longer and then it got going so I held it at around 3000 rpm but noticed it was running very rough and then it sputtered and died. Opened hood and found serpentine belt was slipping forward. I had it towed to a local euro car tech.

Later that day I read a post that other people had been stranded shortly after filling up at the same pump. One person's tank contains more water than fuel.

Diagnosis from tech is that the timing is shot and the engine is not making compression except for 1 cylinder getting 50%. He says he lined up the engine and can observe that the timing is off. Says valves may be damaged. Needs chain, balance shaft, tensioner and other timing parts but tech thinks putting in another engine would be more cost effective.

The car was running fine before this happened. I drove it recently and didn't notice any issues. It sounded and felt smooth and had normal power. I didn't notice any unusual sounds.

How in the world could a tank full of water have caused such destruction?

Thank you and I will check and respond quickly if there are any questions.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
water doesn't compress. so if water is in the fuel and gets into you engine while running it can destroy your engine. first thing i would do is go after the offending gas station. they should be responsible for the engine damage if there was water in their gas.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
I second that, since the gas station should be responsible for this, however, it not common that happens, but that much water, sound like the gas station having some issue with their tank in the ground with storm water runoff into the system.