Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leakdown testing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
E550
Leakdown testing

I've performed a leakdown test on my previous non Mercedes car several times.

It had a manual transmission; keeping the engine from spinning when applying pressure to the cylinder was not a big deal even if the piston wasn't at TDC completely. All I had to do is put it in top gear (6th in this case) and make sure the wheels were choked. The car wouldn't move and performing a leakdown test was easy.

I've never performed one on a car with an automatic transmission.

What steps do I need to take to perform a leakdown on my 2010 E550 (M273 engine) ?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:10 PM

E550
More specifically, how do I lock the engine from spinning ?

( I know how to perform a leakdown test )
Old 07-08-2017, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 718 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Drop the plate under the flywheel and use a pry bar to lock the flywheel in place. May take a bit of work to figure out how to keep the bar in place but it it do-able.

Alternatively, place a breaker bar and socket on the harmonic balancer bolt on the end of the crankshaft. You're not going to be applying enough torque to worry about loosening it.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:50 AM

E550
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Alternatively, place a breaker bar and socket on the harmonic balancer bolt on the end of the crankshaft. You're not going to be applying enough torque to worry about loosening it.
Are you saying for someone to hold the breaker bar while applying 100psi into the cylinder ? With that kind of pressure, isn't it going to rip the breaker bar out of their hands ?

With the manual transmission cars that I've done, it was just a matter of putting it in the highest gear and choking the wheels.