Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

w209 crank, no start after Power Steering Pump Ground Cable Replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK 500 , 2001 CLK 430 CABRIOLET
w209 crank, no start after Power Steering Pump Ground Cable Replaced

2006 clk500 (W209 )started rough idle and sputter and the check (engine light began flashing ) so I pulled over inspected the engine bay and noticed that the ground cable coming off of the back of the power steering pump had been severed and disconnected

I did have a power supply for a dryer with me at the time so I was able to splice a wire,

reattached to the back of the power steering pump and make a ground and drove home

I also was able to drive as normal, the next day, go to and from work without issue (no check engine light)

I needed to go out later in the evening, and when I went to start, it cranks and try to start, but it wouldn't.

So, i removed the spliced cable, Attached a brand new cable, and attempted to start it again, and same thing..

( just an endless cycle of almost starting, but wont and no check engine light)

ive also checked the fuses, and I had MAF , Cam and Crank, sensors replaced within 6 mo ago but those all threw a code and light whenever they failed....in this instance i have no check engine iLght on..
Old 08-21-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1995 E420, 1998 E300TD, 2002 CL230K 6spd, 2002 CL230K auto, 2002 CL280T VR6 Project, 2001 A6 2.7T
If we discount the issue of the supplemental ground cable problem that you found, it just sounds like the engine is not getting enough fuel to start. Have you checked fuel pressure and volume at the fuel injection rail?