Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty - help choosing one!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 ML 320
Extended Warranty - help choosing one!

My ML 320 '00 warranty runs out tomorrow night. I bought it when it was 1 year and 3 months old and was under the impression that the warranty lasts till 5years , 50K miles.

Came to know this weekend that it is 4years and 50K miles.

I have around 35.8K miles on it - but need to sign up with someone fast.

Was told that in California, the provider needs to have license.

Anyone with any experiences - good or bad?

Would appreciate any suggestions, recommendations, and tips.

Thanks and have a good one.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:59 PM

W220
I also looking for Extended Warranty for MY01 S500 w/ 48K mi

Couple of companies looks better than bench of others:
WarrantyDirect
AutoWarrantyBroker

I was searching for any complaints and/or problems with claims and services and those two (above) look quite reliable...

Both provide very similar and quite competitive coverage.
The WarrantyDirect advertises itself more than AutoWarrantyBroker.
On the other hand AutoWarrantyBroker comes out to be cheaper a few hundred $$ and yet allows getting longer plans...

I hope that helps...

Old 04-28-2004, 05:01 PM

'00 ML 320
Thanks.

Thank you. I was planning to go with Warranty Direct. And was glad to hear that name from you.

The sales guy talking with me also seems to be helpful and for a change was a "no pressure" sales guy.

The only problems I am trying to resolve is that the Warranty seller also needs to be registered in the state of california to sell extended warranty and these guys seem to have had some run-in with the California Department of Insurance in 2002. Trying to find out if all that is cleared.

Let me know if you have any more information.

Thanks once again.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:35 PM

W220
U'r welcome

Actually I am leaning forward to AutoWarrantyBroker...
They are (in my case) providing 7yr/100k mi with same protection at about $165 less than WarrantyDirect for 4yr/100k mi.

Still in search of any bad references / complaints about either one... (no results yet )

Old 04-29-2004, 01:53 PM

'00 ML 320
Unfortunately Autowarranty broker site says that they are not allowed to sell in california. So they might not be an option for me.

So just FYI I was doing som research on the web and read that warranties which have a list of parts need to be carefully read and "exclusionary" warranties which exclude certain parts cover everything else that is not in the list.

I saw on the Autobroker site that their premier contract has a list of parts - so you might want to check out the list and make sure it is comprehensive.

Do let me know if you hear anything bad about direct warranty.

All the best.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:27 PM

W220
Both - WarrantyDirect and AutoWarrantyBroker (with their best coverage plans) have exclusionary policy (i.e. parts on the exclusionary list are not covered - the rest is covered fully).

So I have compared both of these exclusionary lists and they are VERY similar to each other...

Yeah, I just noticed that AutoWarrantyBroker does not provide service for California...

Last edited by DMI+RY; 04-29-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:47 PM

98 E320
Look for the language "like kind and quality." If its there, be ready for beef if you have a major part failure.

Let's say the tranny goes bad. The MB dealer will recommend a certified rebuilt unit for, lets say, $5,500 installed w/ 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

The warranty company will balk at buying the dealer part, and say they will find a tranny, ship it to you and pay for the install or offer a % payment for the dealer price. It is up the you, they will say, to pay for the "betterment."

Read the exclusions carefully, and look hard for "like kind and quality." Ask plenty of question so you're sure of what it means.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:27 AM

W220
Both AutoWarrantyBroker and WarrantyDirect have online consaltants (which is pretty neat) that answer any questions you have...
I've chatted with both of these companies and the only difference I noted (in my case for MY01 S500) that for $165 cheaper AutoWarrantyBroker offers 7yr/100k mi versus 4yr/100k mi from WarrantyDirect...

Any other thoughts?

Old 05-01-2004, 09:39 AM

98 E320
I'll say again, explore with both "like kind and quality" and what that means. Might I recommend asking them to walk you through a couple of examples, major part failures such as transmission and air condition evap., so you get a sense of how they typically treat them.

Just a suggestion....
Old 05-01-2004, 12:14 PM

'00 ML 320
good info.

Thanks Fathead.

Hey DMI did you check with any of these two regarding the suggestions made by Fathead? Let me know what you found if you did.

Another thing I found over the last two days was that some policies are supposed to be "service contracts" while others are "insurance policies". The californai state believes that Insurance policies are better than the service contracts as insurance companies can be regulated and even those who sell insurance policies can be regulated.

If you want to read more about it go to...
http://www.insurance.ca.gov/CSD/Broc...ceContract.htm

I left a voicemail with California department of insurance to check up on the status of Warranty directs license number and they even called me back - i was not there so they left me a direct number to call. So will let you know if I find something bad.

hey thanks teaming up.....
Old 05-01-2004, 12:17 PM

'00 ML 320
Some more info.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=68025

I posted this thread twice int his forum and some more info here if you are interested.

Regards.....