Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk leak - 240D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk leak - 240D

I have a 1981 240D and have replaced the trunk gasket, but every time it rains water leaks in. The water is coming is dripping in between the gasket and the back seat. I have no idea where the leak is coming from. I have put silicone on the back glass gasket, also.

Any ideas?
Old 04-28-2004, 04:52 PM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
Have you cleaned out the rear vents?

I was having the same problem you describe with my W202. I would park it in my driveway nose down, with a slight tilt to the drivers side. Water would pool by the trunk gasket in the forward drivers side corner and leak it. Had to replace the gasget. You have replaced the gasket allready.

Mt second idea would be to do waht you did to try to seal up the rear window gasket as best as you can.

My final idea would be to see if water is leaking in though the rear air vents in the ?C? piller. The black plastic finned areas in the rear piller have air vents from the trunk/back seat area. If leaves, crud, etc gets in there I would think that you could have water leak into your car if you were parked in a way that water could back-flow into thoes air-vents. I use my hose to clean out all the crap from the vents every time I wash my W123.

Good luck
Old 04-28-2004, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the response. I will check those vents!