Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 E320 Wagon/transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 wagon 4matic
2001 E320 Wagon/transmission issues?

Hey guys,

I'm new to Mercedes vehicles but not new to mechanics and electronics. I've spun a wrench or two in my day but for this issue I'm unsure of where to start troubleshooting this issue.

I bought a 2001 E320 wagon from a friend for cheap. It needed front struts ans axles. I installed them and drove the car for around 3 or 4K miles. I parked the car at the grocery store, and when I came back 10 min later it would not move. You can hear the transmission engage but it will not move forward or backwards on it's own. It also will roll on it's own when the transmission is in park.

I am unfamiliar with this 4matic drivetrain so I’m unsure of where to start looking. If it was a FWD or RWD vehicle respectively, I would have a clue where to start. This has me scratching my head...Mercedes is definitely a bit more advanced of a vehicle than I have dealt with in the past.

Anybody have suggestions on where to look for this issue?
Old 10-07-2017, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,008 Likes on 782 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Go to the other forum and read sticky 5:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/

Search on this forum any posts by BoostedAero concerning his transmission rebuild; good links in there. He's in the W211 AMG sub-forum but the transmissions are essentially the same and many technical savvy individuals hang out in that sub-forum. FWIW, either the shifter cable came loose from the transmission or you suffered a castrophic failure. Start with the easy first. If you have access to DAS/STAR/Xentry you can query the transmission control module and discover if it is an electrical issue; a standard OBD2 code reader will *not* read the TCM in a W210.