Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanical rattle or burble when accelerating

Old 11-07-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 220 CDI AMG Sport
Question Mechanical rattle or burble when accelerating

Hi all.

I've recently purchased a 2006 A 220 CDI AMG Sport and begun to notice a strange noise when accelerating. The best way I can describe the noise is that it sounds like a mechanical burbling/rattling, which occurs in addition to the normal engine noise. It only happens when I accelerate and doesn't seem to happen all the time (although it might be getting more frequent).

I thought it could be something to do with the exhaust so took it back to the garage that I bought it from. They heard the noise and plugged in the computer to check if anything was showing as malfunctioning but nothing was flagged so they've basically said it's probably normal and likely to be something to do with when the EGR valve opens under certain circumstances.

I'm not particularity convinced it is normal. It doesn't sound normal for a car like this.

Has anyone else heard this sort of noise? Or does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be?

Thanks in advance!