Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes E320 4matic
Transmission problem

Hey guys, I got a problem with the transmission wondering if anyone has any ideas on this problem. When I put the shifter in drive it doesnt go into gear, even if I put it in reverse or 3,2,or 1. It's like I'm in neutral. What I do is that I put it in drive and wait about a minute or so and it finally goes into gear, after that it drives fine with no problem until I put it back into park then I have to do the same thing over again. There's no transmission codes or any other codes. I hate to bring it to a transmission place cause I'm sure they will say it needs to be rebuild. So hopefully someone will have some clue what's going on with this tranny. Thanks My car is a 1999 E320 4matic

Last edited by Rock345; 11-29-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Car details
Old 11-30-2017, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,006 Likes on 782 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
You cannot pull transmission codes with an OBD2 code reader in a W210. The TCU module is not connected to the OBD2 port, only to the 38-pin connector under the hood and that requires DAS to pull the codes. Put it on a proper diagnostic system and then see what you have.

You an also go to Amazon and purchase the ATSG 722.6 technical manual and it provides in-depth detail on codes and symptoms.