Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine oil is dark and smells bit burnt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320CDI
engine oil is dark and smells bit burnt

I have a car with OM642 engine using Castrol Magnatec Professional MP 5W-30 oil. Last oil-change was 5000 miles ago(6 months ago). However, when I checked the engine oil today, then it has a black color and smells bit burnt:

Should I be worried? Or does it look normal? Please let me know if any additional information is needed.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Diesel crankcase oil gets black quickly---the burnt comment is very subjective and therefore I would send an oil sample off to any number of companies that analyze auto oils----what s the result?
Old 02-04-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320CDI
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Diesel crankcase oil gets black quickly---the burnt comment is very subjective and therefore I would send an oil sample off to any number of companies that analyze auto oils----what s the result?
I bought the EngineCheckUp fluid analysis kit and did two tests:

According to this, engine oil has no metal or dust particles. Oil warn seems to be fine as well if I take into consideration that I'm in the middle of oil change-cycle. In addition, there seems to be almost no water or fuel in engine oil. So I guess the black color of the oil is fine for this mileage.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Plutoe is right on. Diesel engine oil turns very dark almost immediately. I spilled some on my driveway, it took many months for it to disappear.

And as Plutoe suggested, if your really want to know the condition of your oil and your engine, submit a sample to an oil analysis lab. I consider oil analysis especially beneficial for a diesel.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 02-04-2018 at 09:44 AM.