Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to update the maps of Garmin navigation cards bought from eBay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C-Class Sedan (W205)
Is it possible to update the maps of Garmin navigation cards bought from eBay?

Hey there.

I have a W205 C-Class Sedan without Comand, so just the Garmin navigation. I bought an SD card for the Garmin from eBay, which has been working perfectly for around a year until now. Assuming this is a problem with an outdated map, the research I've done indicates that the primary way to update these is to plug the SD card into the PC and run the Mercedes Download Manager.

However, there are two problems with this:

- When I actually run the Download Manager and insert the SD card into the PC, it shows that the map is a 2016 version (V6.0), and the VIN field is pre-filled with a VIN, but after clicking Verify & Restore I get the error:

Your VIN is not available. Please contact your hotline if you have an original Garmin Map Pilot SD Card.
- Based on the research I've done and what I've seen on forums, as of 2017 the Mercedes Download Manager is only guaranteed to update the Map Pilot's firmware (what it calls the navigation software), and it's hit-and-miss as to whether it will update the maps along with it or whether the 60-day rule will apply instead.

Does this mean that there is absolutely no way to update the maps of Garmin SD cards that are bought from eBay, and that the only way to do so is to buy a new one from the dealership? Is there no other way to update SD cards bought from eBay that doesn't involve spending more money?

Thanks in advance, I'd really appreciate the help.

Last edited by Kaos-Industries; 02-01-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:11 PM

2016 C-Class Sedan (W205)
Anyone?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:38 AM

W213
I have the same problem with original card from my diler
Old 05-18-2018, 08:46 AM

2018 C300
I will be curious too. I have a 2018 C300. The SD card sold on ebay indicates it must have Audio 20 and SD Garmin prewiring. I have the latter and Burmester surround sound system and can't seem to locate Audio 20 in my owner's manual. Will the version 8.2, sold on ebay, work on my car?