Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console short?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 154 Likes on 136 Posts
2023 GLE3502W, 2024 GLC3002W, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp (for sale)
Console short?

Posting here as so many models have consoles. '14 GL450 CPO. This started because neither of the rear seat interior lights worked. Dealer just fixed one and had to order parts to fix the other. Rhetorically speaking, how did that break? Anyway, I noticed a white bar in my ash tray and just decided to press it. That caused the radio to open up a list of presets. What? You'll see in the video that pressing the white bar made the radio jump around. I removed the ash tray to discover the white bar didn't do anything. Again, so what's that for? I looked in the ash tray cavity and it was pretty dirty. It looked like something had spilled in there. I also looked into the cigarette lighter and the bottom of it was rusty, again indicating spillage. There were openings in the bottom of the ash tray cavity that would allow liquid to get down under the console. When I went to the dealer to get the lights worked on I tried to recreate the radio issue. Of course it wouldn't do it, but I did have this video. I discovered that I could make it happen by pushing the ash tray to the left as if to remove it, but not every time. So for anyone who has had their console out, is there any wiring or modules under it that could have been damaged by spillage? Thanks in advance.