Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 C320 Check Engine Light wont illuminate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320 Coupe
2005 C320 Check Engine Light wont illuminate

Hi-- I recently bought my first MB- 2005 C320 Coupe from a private seller. Went to get it smogged and it failed so got the error codes (EGR & AIR) and our mechanic fixed them. Found out that it still wont pass Smog b/c the check engine light does not illuminate when starting the car, its the only one on the dash that doesn't work. I talked to the previous seller and she indicated the shop she took it to turned that light off-- called the I've been searching for answers in the forums and online, calling MB repair shops, etc, but not getting anywhere.
I made a couple of make-shift cluster removal tools following some posts on here and pulled the cluster. The paper seal to the electronics on the back of the cluster was not broken so it didnt look like someone had messed around inside. I also opened it up and inspected the check engine LED and didnt see anything that looked unusual on the board.

Anyone have any insights on what might be going on, and how to fix it? Have found used clusters online but not seeing a whole lot on who can clone/program a used one to match my car. Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:57 AM

2005 C320 Coupe
Ut oh-- 50 views and no replies... anyone have any ideas out there?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes R320L CDI 4MATIC 2007
Does it come up at all? When you put the ignition on, before starting the car? There is a instrument cluster light test on the star diagnosis, if you have access to it.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
If the light does not work at all, they either damaged the instrument cluster or removed a bulb so that you would buy the car. You got taken advantage of and if you purchased it from a local used car lot or dealership, I would start discussing the cost of the repairs with them or seek a lawyers advice.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:44 PM

2005 C320 Coupe
Taken advantage of

yes indeed- they did short out the led, feel fortunate our mechanic could fix it for a bit over $100 and now the car is finally through smog and registered. Learned something new about clusters, and a lot about buying a used car in CA.
appreciate the responses- you’ve been right on in all that I’ve seen on this forum. When I have time I’m going to see if I can get the sunroof working again!