Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hard start when warm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 450SEL 4.5L
Question hard start when warm

I have a 79 450sel with a 4.5 L mechanical fuel injection (CIS) system. This car when it is cold starts with just a tap of the key, however, after it has warmed up to operating temp. if I shut it off and go to restart it turns over 4-6 sec before starting. Does anyone out there have any ideas where I should start for trouble shooting ? I have a Haynes manual it refers to nothing about hard warm starts...any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Humbley yours ... Chaindrive
Old 05-16-2004, 11:41 AM
Jer

1994 E320
Over time the injectors run poorly at high temps. Also the injector seals might be failing. With the engine running spray brake cleaning fluid around the injector seat. If the engine runs rough or chokes, the seal is leaking and allowing air into the combustion chamber, hence affecting the mixture.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:28 PM

MB 450SEL 4.5L
I din't think of that and that is a good suggestion. I was talking with an old-timer mercedes mechanic this morning and he said that I might be experiencing vapor lock...he suggested buying a plus grade of gasoline or gasoline without ethanol. It certainly is worth a try but I'm not sure of the availablity of non-blended gasolines in northeast ohio... Chaindrive
Old 05-18-2004, 04:30 PM

500SL
I don't know if thi will also apply to you, but I had kind of that same problem on my 500sl, after spending a couple of bucks on my dealer, I discovered that my has couple of fitting on the gas filter which holds the preasure on the line, when they go you have to crank the car twice longer before it starts, try checking on that too. it was only a couple of bucks for the part.