Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise from the air conditioner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MB E 320 CDI 4matic
noise from the air conditioner

Hello guys,
I have 2008 MB320 CDI 4matic with 195tkm on the clock. For some time some noise started, something like a sound that is heard in a low gear and can even be thought to come from the gearbox, but the moment the air conditioner is switched off, the noise disappears. It is also sensible when I go into a curve, especially left ... with the acceleration deprivation, it seems like the sound itself is also' dying'.I check up the hydraulic level of the servo and it is OK.I've been to the local MB Shop and the chief said it is the fan of the aircon , but I am not quite convinced. The Honest John suggested it might be the servo pump, but when idle ,there is no noice when i turn the steering wheel.Any ideas what might be that 'wheening' noice?But it definitely comes whit the engage of the aircondition...
Old 03-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Remove the AC filters and investigate you may have an obstruction causing\making the noise!
The following 2 users liked this post by Plutoe:
biker349 (03-12-2018), Lubo2018 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic; 2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Possibly the attached bulletin applies.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AC Pulley Revision for Noise.pdf (234.2 KB, 500 views)
The following users liked this post:
Lubo2018 (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 04:09 PM

MB E 320 CDI 4matic
this is the "killer" guide!!!Thanks a lot,kjb55
Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 AM

MB E 320 CDI 4matic
Hi Guys, I just check if the noise is there with or without the compressor for AC. Yes ,it is there...the worst is that sometimes you do not here it well, but when I come home , it is always there ;-)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:27 AM

MB E 320 CDI 4matic
noice from air conditioner

Originally Posted by kjb55
Possibly the attached bulletin applies.
Hello again,
I've been to workshop and the test says it is the aircon compressor. Now,do anyone of you know the original part number .Mercedes Benz T , mod.2008, 320CDI , 4matic,
Best regs
Lubomir
Old 10-12-2018, 08:29 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Lubo2018
Hello again,
I've been to workshop and the test says it is the aircon compressor. Now,do anyone of you know the original part number .Mercedes Benz T , mod.2008, 320CDI , 4matic,
Best regs
Lubomir
but according the service bulletin it could be just the pulley, so you should use the shorter belt bypassing the compressor before you spend $800 on a new compressor (i am guessing on the total cost)
Lubo2018 (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 06:08 AM

MB E 320 CDI 4matic
you won't believe it !!! It was Nr.2 in the service bulletin-lack of freon. And those chaps wanted my car to be at the workshop for 11 hours just to test and diagnose it?! Wonder if they could assemble it after all-islanders. Crazy...600 € just for it. And they call them self a Mercedes Benz workshop. And the most stupid of all was the question"where did I get that bulletin???" they should've had the same,don't they?
Any way, guys-thanks for the support and if you have some whining noise from the aircon-check up the freon gas ;-)
Old 10-14-2018, 10:26 PM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
you won't believe it !!! It was Nr.2 in the service bulletin-lack of freon. And those chaps wanted my car to be at the workshop for 11 hours just to test and diagnose it?! Wonder if they could assemble it after all-islanders. Crazy...600 € just for it. And they call them self a Mercedes Benz workshop. And the most stupid of all was the question"where did I get that bulletin???" they should've had the same,don't they?
Any way, guys-thanks for the support and if you have some whining noise from the aircon-check up the freon gas ;-)
who determined it was low on refrigerant? Only that i would like to know what the running high side pressure was before refrigerant was added. Didnt you have weak cooling, possibly on the driver side? If it was clattering you might be low on compressor oil if the pressure was not that low also how low might indicate a worn compressor shaft seal. You should get the running high side pressure after the fill and keep it in you log book to keep an eye on it. Maybe easy to do if you have a digital display AC control with REST.

Last edited by ot1; 10-14-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:31 PM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
ha sure they knew it was low on refrigerant if they looked at it at all. Seems like they were hoping you were like one of their typical stupid customers they take advantage of.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 AM

MB E 320 CDI 4matic
Well, I really do not know how they decide it was low on freon.The service indicator showed the car needed service "C" and I left it there for a day or two.Then they call me back and said that they fill the gas and suspect that the problem was over with the whining.And indeed,it is over.Now I drive noiseless car and with the brand new tyres goes like a new one ;-).I made a call to the shop and ask them your question,but the guy,whom I spoke to,did not know the answer,and the rest of them-who knows? If I receive something from them,I would be pleased to pass it on here. One thing were for sure-the chief of the shop was sure it was not the compressor and that was all he was right about .Other than that I do not think they took me for stupid(though I might be looking like that).Usually they've been correct with me and almost never regret I've been using them,because every time I use someone else,after that I had to go to them to post fix it.Here is an Island and the things seldom run well. BTW what you mean with this <Maybe easy to do if you have a digital display AC control with REST.>?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:21 AM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
Well, I really do not know how they decide it was low on freon.The service indicator showed the car needed service "C" and I left it there for a day or two.Then they call me back and said that they fill the gas and suspect that the problem was over with the whining.And indeed,it is over.Now I drive noiseless car and with the brand new tyres goes like a new one ;-).I made a call to the shop and ask them your question,but the guy,whom I spoke to,did not know the answer,and the rest of them-who knows? If I receive something from them,I would be pleased to pass it on here. One thing were for sure-the chief of the shop was sure it was not the compressor and that was all he was right about .Other than that I do not think they took me for stupid(though I might be looking like that).Usually they've been correct with me and almost never regret I've been using them,because every time I use someone else,after that I had to go to them to post fix it.Here is an Island and the things seldom run well. BTW what you mean with this <Maybe easy to do if you have a digital display AC control with REST.>?
some digital displays have built-in diagnostics which you access from the REST button. Those diagnostics include temperature and pressure of the refrigerant. So you wouldn’t need to hook up gauges to determine the high side pressure, all could be done from the diagnostic feature.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:42 PM

MB E 320 CDI 4matic
they call me back today and said I ought to visit the workshop and they'll provide me with all info I need.It will be during the week...
Old 11-12-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bike
Hey you may contact with http://fonko.co.nz/ they specialized in installing conditioners and they also have service center
Dark Smile (11-17-2018)