Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common problem? Help diagnose please? M113 whining, high pitch squeeling engine noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Question Common problem? Help diagnose please? M113 whining, high pitch squeeling engine noise

Hi everybody.

A bit of a mystery one for you today. Click on the attached video and listen to this.

This is my CLK430 4.3L V8 engine, with 310000 km (about 220000 miles). This engine noise used to only occur on startup, and would disappear after a short time. Now, it is making this kind of noise ALL the time. The pitch of the noise appears to be almost proportional to the air pressure/vacuum inside the intake plenium chamber (MAP). When the pressure difference is higher, the note is a higher note or pitch. The noise does not change intensity or octave in proportion to the speed of the car, or the RPM. The noise is not coming from the fan belt at all, and continues to make this same sound, even after removing the fan belt and after removing the electrical plug for the secondary air pump (at the front of the engine). It seems loudest at the rear right and front left sides of the top of the engine. I do not believe it is related to the cam shaft as engine rpm doesn't alter the sound.

Notice how the noise seems to stop a split second after the engine has stopped?

If you have experienced this kind of noise before, or you think you have a good idea of what this noise probably is, please let me know your thoughts, thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
File Type: mp3
VID_20180506_085209~2.mp3 (341.0 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by MercedesOEM; 05-07-2018 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Video error
Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Further update

After listening to the noise, I have a suspicion that the breather hose that runs into the centre of the plenium is "whistling". I plan to disassemble this and take a look, and I have already ordered the replacement breather hoses and associated parts. Will continue to investigate.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz clk550
Any updates

Hi,
Did you manage to identify what it was?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:47 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by MercedesOEM
After listening to the noise, I have a suspicion that the breather hose that runs into the centre of the plenium is "whistling". I plan to disassemble this and take a look, and I have already ordered the replacement breather hoses and associated parts. Will continue to investigate.
clamp off the hose with hose clamp pliers or binder clip