Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"IOD Current error" on dash, any thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:33 PM

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
merdeces s320
"IOD Current error" on dash, any thoughts

Has anyone ever see the below error on the dash?

"IOD CURRENT ERROR"

A week ago it was a different message "MEASURE IOD CURRENT"

now it has switched to IOD current error

Its on a W166 GLS550 2017. I have been tryign to troubleshoot it, removing fuses one at a time, nothing seems to clear the error, which makes me think it may be coming from something 'always hot'

The draw as I switch ignition off is around 10 amps (which is the same as similar car I have with no error) but once all the can busses switch off, the draw goes down to zero

I can find no reference to this error in google and when I hook up to star diagnosis, none of the modules make any mention of this error. I have checked every module and parameter and cannot even see which module is sending the message to the instrument cluster

all pointer appreciated

IOD Current error
Old 05-11-2018, 06:04 PM

merdeces s320
have found the fuse.

I removed every single fuse and relay in the vehicle (except those that run the cluster and diagnostics)

At this point the message had gone

I replaced them one by one and reconncted battery each time unit the message returned

The fuse at fault was fuse number 251 in the interior prefuse box.

Its listed as SAM Control Unit (N10) (exterior lights)

Have tried disconnecting headlights, error is still there, next step is to work through the wiring diagram to find the culprit
Old 05-19-2018, 01:12 PM

merdeces s320
SOLVED

Finding the fuse was a false alarm. The 251 fuse was for the front SAM but the front SAM was producing this message, so the 251 fuse was simply unplugging the diagnosis of the message

After spending almost 2 days testing all the circuits and modules, I was left with just the SAM itself. I had only replaced this recently with one from ebay described as 'NEW'

So bought another one SAM, installed it, updated SCN coding and the message has gone

Seems it was the SAM all along. Hope this saves someone else the troubleshooting headache