Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wacky CLK430 Climate Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430, 2012 BMW X5 3.5d
Angry Wacky CLK430 Climate Control

Today experienced the following on my CLK430 2000 which is about a week out of warranty. Can't try to goodwill this since I had my fuel senders just replaced 1 day out of warranty.

When AC is on and system is set to Auto for both pass/driver the systems fan seems to have a mind of its own and seems to emit a faint squeel at low fan speeds and it seems to go away at higher speeds. When driving the fan will sometimes drop out at what should be a high setting and resume eventually. Changing the temperature from say 72 down to low doesn't initially change the fan speed from say two or three bars to full force when set to LO. Haven't fully tested it yet but when the system is set to MANUAL mode the fan control seems to hold at the speed set - have to drive it a few miles to fully test.

Do you think its the blower or the Electronic Controller.

Also, any suggestions for a good discount OEM part source aside from the stealership?
Old 05-29-2004, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Wacky CLK430 Climate Control

Originally posted by stim141

Do you think its the blower or the Electronic Controller.

Sounds like a bad blower voltage regulator to me.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Definitely a bad regulator. Use a phillips to unscrew the two screws on the underdash panel on the passenger side, remove the cover from the bottom of the heater case(20torx), remove the torx that retain the regulator, replace and make sure to re-attach the ground wire, your done. I don't know the exact part of the price but if you find it at and outside source it would be ok. The MB regulators fail....just as much as any other might.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430, 2012 BMW X5 3.5d
Thanks. Did that this morning and when the motor is out with the regulator attached there definately is a high pitched whine but the noise seems to be comming from the fan from what I can tell. But the system does run fast/then slow during operation so I guess its the regulator. Will have to separate the two from each other and "hear" where the noise is comming from. There seems to be a mid sized resistor (I think - silver with tan epoxy) on the circuit board just under the bearing) but I'll have to isolate first to determine if the noise is comming from there or within the regulator. Don't want to buy both since you can't return electrical components to a supplier and the part (regulator is 147.50 and the motor is 187.00).

When the fan is manually set to low you really hear the noise and the speed is pretty constant - during driving the fan will pickup then slowdown but never completely quits. Sometimes during this up/down cycle you hear the noise sometimes you don't. Since noises are hard to isolate I guess the only way is to separate the two from each other and listen. Since there is a speedup and slowdown would the component on the fan cause this or would the regulator solely be the culprit?
Old 05-29-2004, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by stim141
Thanks. Did that this morning and when the motor is out with the regulator attached there definately is a high pitched whine but the noise seems to be comming from the fan from what I can tell. But the system does run fast/then slow during operation so I guess its the regulator. Will have to separate the two from each other and "hear" where the noise is comming from. There seems to be a mid sized resistor (I think - silver with tan epoxy) on the circuit board just under the bearing) but I'll have to isolate first to determine if the noise is comming from there or within the regulator. Don't want to buy both since you can't return electrical components to a supplier and the part (regulator is 147.50 and the motor is 187.00).

When the fan is manually set to low you really hear the noise and the speed is pretty constant - during driving the fan will pickup then slowdown but never completely quits. Sometimes during this up/down cycle you hear the noise sometimes you don't. Since noises are hard to isolate I guess the only way is to separate the two from each other and listen. Since there is a speedup and slowdown would the component on the fan cause this or would the regulator solely be the culprit?
The blower speed jumps around, so you know the regulator is bad. Instead of buying both a regulator and a motor to fix the noise, replace the known bad regulator and see if it still makes the noise.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
I've only seen or heard those types of noises from the motor when some type of debree gets in there.