Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E63 S-AMG Wagon
TPMS Issue

Hello,

I have a 2014 E63 AMG-S 4Matic wagon.

I just had my wheels replaced at an independent and for some reason my TPMS no longer functions as expected. There are zero erros codes showing on the dash, and there are no error codes being reported either from the Schraeder on-board TPMS ECU or the sensors.

I reset the TPMS at the shop, as I figured they wouldn't follow thee correct procedure of putting the TPMS in the correct position and I get the "Use current Values as new setting" (or somesuch) message. I selected "ok" on the steering wheel and got the next messgae stating that the TPMS system was monitoring.

This is where the system is stuck... at the "Monitoring" stage. I know I'm supposed to drive over 15 mph for like 10 minutes and have done this. Several times and, nothing. It never displays the tire pressures. I performed a scan off the TPMS system a few minutes ago and there are no errors being reported from any part of the system except a positiion error (i assume from the fact that possibly they put a rear one in the front/vice-versa). Everything I've found online for these cars states that they are position agnostic and that the car will know the position of the sensor (I guess from the signal receiver). Even then, I would assume to get a TPMS error stating the positions were incorrect... but with a pressure reading.

My reader, although not a MB specific one is an Autel model MD802 Elite and can read most systems (No programming) and reading the live data I get everything from the sensors,.. current pressure, readings by sensor position,.. and it's correct as I can adjust wheel pressure and it shows on live data,.. temperature (which I'd love to see on the dash), last adaptation, errors etc... and similar info from the onboard ECU - Serial, manufacturer, current state etc. Like 10-15 different things from them. I am not pulling ANY errors via it and there are no messages in the car either.

Any ides why it would just be stuck in the "TPMS is monitoring" mode?

What annoys me is that I didn't do TPMS but after having this car and adding aftermarket TPMS to my other cars and motorcycles... I feel weird not being about to monitoring my tires every now and then.

Thanks!

-Bill
Old 09-17-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 Mercedes CLS450, 2020 Range Rover Evoque
I have the same problem......moved my HRE wheels from my 2012 E class to my 2016 E class. Everything worked on the 2012. Both vehicles use the 433 MHZ frequency and I have verified that all 4 TPMS are active. Not sure what is happening here but at least the system is active and will tell you when there is a low tire, it just won't show which one is low.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:16 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by gary1944
I have the same problem......moved my HRE wheels from my 2012 E class to my 2016 E class. Everything worked on the 2012. Both vehicles use the 433 MHZ frequency and I have verified that all 4 TPMS are active. Not sure what is happening here but at least the system is active and will tell you when there is a low tire, it just won't show which one is low.
Does your 2012 normally show individual tire pressures?
does your 2016 normally show individual tire pressures?

there are different TPMS systems check which you have by VIN
475 TPMS displays individual pressures
470 TPMS does not display individual tire Pressures but still requires 4 sensors

Last edited by ot1; 10-12-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E63 S-AMG Wagon
Got mine resolved,.. I reset and programmed my Schraeder TPMS system with my OBD2 Programmer. They were reading as incorrect position and would not reset on their own (as they are supposed to according to manufacturer) so I had to force them... and the onboard Schraeder computer to read the new positions. was weird.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:11 PM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Billmiranda
Hello,

I have a 2014 E63 AMG-S 4Matic wagon.

I just had my wheels replaced at an independent and for some reason my TPMS no longer functions as expected. There are zero erros codes showing on the dash, and there are no error codes being reported either from the Schraeder on-board TPMS ECU or the sensors.

I reset the TPMS at the shop, as I figured they wouldn't follow thee correct procedure of putting the TPMS in the correct position and I get the "Use current Values as new setting" (or somesuch) message. I selected "ok" on the steering wheel and got the next messgae stating that the TPMS system was monitoring.

This is where the system is stuck... at the "Monitoring" stage. I know I'm supposed to drive over 15 mph for like 10 minutes and have done this. Several times and, nothing. It never displays the tire pressures. I performed a scan off the TPMS system a few minutes ago and there are no errors being reported from any part of the system except a positiion error (i assume from the fact that possibly they put a rear one in the front/vice-versa). Everything I've found online for these cars states that they are position agnostic and that the car will know the position of the sensor (I guess from the signal receiver). Even then, I would assume to get a TPMS error stating the positions were incorrect... but with a pressure reading.

My reader, although not a MB specific one is an Autel model MD802 Elite and can read most systems (No programming) and reading the live data I get everything from the sensors,.. current pressure, readings by sensor position,.. and it's correct as I can adjust wheel pressure and it shows on live data,.. temperature (which I'd love to see on the dash), last adaptation, errors etc... and similar info from the onboard ECU - Serial, manufacturer, current state etc. Like 10-15 different things from them. I am not pulling ANY errors via it and there are no messages in the car either.

Any ides why it would just be stuck in the "TPMS is monitoring" mode?

What annoys me is that I didn't do TPMS but after having this car and adding aftermarket TPMS to my other cars and motorcycles... I feel weird not being about to monitoring my tires every now and then.

Thanks!

-Bill
TPMS in later years only has a central antenna, unlike 2002-2005(4 antennas),6,7,8,9(3 antennas, if you have option 475, 1 only if you have option 470) If you only have a central antenna, you have to drive around after swapping tires so that the system can deterime where the sensors are now positionally located that is necessary for vehicles that are able to display individual pressures. With option 470 it does not display individual pressures, it only monitors each wheel and displays a common message, and you have to determine which tire has an issue by visual inspection. With option 475, It determines where the sensors are because each sensor has a unique id and while driving around the wheels turn at different rates and via ABS it knows which wheel is turning at what rate and it feeds this info back into the TPMS module which then determines which of the 4 sensors squawking their pressure, temperature and ID data is mounted on which wheel. There are two frequencies of sensors used in the USA. 433mhz and 315mhz, also there are three different systems used in the USA, BERU(2002-2005), SIEMENS(2006-2009), SHRADER(2010-????) this is true for Eclass vehicles. You are suppose to have a sticker in the engine compartment telling you what system and what frequency, because the sensors are not interchangeable. There is also option 488 which does not use wheel sensors, it notifies you of a problem like option 470, so get out and visually inspect. The 488 option uses the ABS system to calculate rotational speeds while driving straight, and it knows what the factory tire diameter is, and if one tire is rotating at a different speed they it warns you on the dash to go check you tires because you might have a leaking tire. The 488 option was free for Mercedes to install since it was only software because the ABS system was aready on the vehicles, yet I think the US government didnt like this system when TPMS was mandated, so mercedes came out with other solutions.

Last edited by ot1; 10-12-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
Originally Posted by ot1

TPMS in later years only has a central antenna, unlike 2002-2005(4 antennas),6,7,8,9(3 antennas, if you have option 475, 1 only if you have option 470) If you only have a central antenna, you have to drive around after swapping tires so that the system can deterime where the sensors are now positionally located that is necessary for vehicles that are able to display individual pressures. With option 470 it does not display individual pressures, it only monitors each wheel and displays a common message, and you have to determine which tire has an issue by visual inspection. With option 475, It determines where the sensors are because each sensor has a unique id and while driving around the wheels turn at different rates and via ABS it knows which wheel is turning at what rate and it feeds this info back into the TPMS module which then determines which of the 4 sensors squawking their pressure, temperature and ID data is mounted on which wheel. There are two frequencies of sensors used in the USA. 433mhz and 315mhz, also there are three different systems used in the USA, BERU(2002-2005), SIEMENS(2006-2009), SHRADER(2010-????) this is true for Eclass vehicles. You are suppose to have a sticker in the engine compartment telling you what system and what frequency, because the sensors are not interchangeable. There is also option 488 which does not use wheel sensors, it notifies you of a problem like option 470, so get out and visually inspect. The 488 option uses the ABS system to calculate rotational speeds while driving straight, and it knows what the factory tire diameter is, and if one tire is rotating at a different speed they it warns you on the dash to go check you tires because you might have a leaking tire. The 488 option was free for Mercedes to install since it was only software because the ABS system was aready on the vehicles, yet I think the US government didnt like this system when TPMS was mandated, so mercedes came out with other solutions.
hi, i have a 315 mhz system with beru my car is a 2004 cl600. my tpms system works and shows all tire pressures accurately. my problem is every time i start my car i get a white message to activate my tpms system. i press the reset button on the dash and everything functions properly. next start i have to do the same procedure. i was told this very well could be caused by a faulty tpms antenna. do you think the antenna could be the cause of my problem? we have also used star to activate system both developer mode and activation mode and it doesn't resolve the problem.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:08 PM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by biker349
hi, i have a 315 mhz system with beru my car is a 2004 cl600. my tpms system works and shows all tire pressures accurately. my problem is every time i start my car i get a white message to activate my tpms system. i press the reset button on the dash and everything functions properly. next start i have to do the same procedure. i was told this very well could be caused by a faulty tpms antenna. do you think the antenna could be the cause of my problem? we have also used star to activate system both developer mode and activation mode and it doesn't resolve the problem.
if One of the antennas was faulty then the corresponding sensor would not be read, how old are your sensors? I dont have a star but i believe you can read battery voltage on each sensor. I would go to each wheel and check the connector for possible corrosion too. How long have you had this problem? The antennas are mounted on brackets under the wheel skirt.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
i will check for corrosion. got an extra tpms antenna as a spare just in case. i have had this problem for about 4 months.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:53 AM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by biker349
i will check for corrosion. got an extra tpms antenna as a spare just in case. i have had this problem for about 4 months.
batteries in the sensor only last about 10 years, suspect that one sensor has weak batteries so I think Discount Tire or Costco can read battery voltage but on the Beru I dont know. Its worth a call. At Costco they changed out two sensors for $100 including the sensors, rebalanced for free because the tires where purchased there, Discount Tire does the same I believe.