Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C320 Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 Vibration

Hello all. I have a 2002 C320 with 25K on the clock. The car is equipped with the standard (non sport) suspension. I have picked up a vibration between 25-50 miles per hour. I have replaced the factory Michelins with Bridgestone Turanzas and yet the problem persists. I also replaced a bent rim at this point and thought I had solved the problem, but yet it still persists. I have had my local dealer perform both an alignment and a balance but neither one seems to have helped. My dealer is unwilling to research the matter further, and blames the tires. I am unwilling to accept this as the tires are less than 300 miles old and have been balanced to factory spec by the dealer. Is there a a driveline component or any other component that I am overlooking that might cause the issue? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:00 AM

C32AMG
Ask your dealer to temporarily swap all four of your mounted tires/wheels with the same from another non-vibrating C320.If the vibes go away,the problem was with the parts from your car...and at that point start individually reinstalling each of your original mounted tires/wheels until it comes back.

If the vibes persist with the "new" tires and wheels,it indicates that you may have a suspension or (long shot) a brake issue....but your wheels or tires were not to blame.

This may sound like a lot of work,but it's actually just an old Mercedes problem-solving technique that works every time.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
What bent the rim? Check that corner of the car for suspension damage.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:07 PM

Thanks, I will do the tire swap and see what happens.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Originally posted by mleskovar
What bent the rim? Check that corner of the car for suspension damage.
That's what I'm sayin. Does it feel like the front end? Could be thrust arms in the front.