Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W211- No start, ECM Hot, radiator fan blowing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 W211 E350 sport
W211- No start, ECM Hot, radiator fan blowing

Backstory: My 2007 w211 E350 (90,000 miles) died on me while going down the highway. I was at 50 mph when the dash lit up like a christmas tree and I had no power all of a sudden. Luckily I was exiting and was able to pull over safely. Once stopped I put the car in park and tried to restart and got nothing- no attempt to turn over. I had the "ESP inoperative see manual" error displaying on the dash, the radiator fan was running on full blast, and I could not shift the car out of park. Eventually I gave up and called a tow truck to bring it home where it has been suck ever since.

What I have done:
- I tried checking for error codes with my OBD scanner and can't connect to the ECU
- Battery was replaced last year and is reading 12.6V, I tried jumping the car just in case.
- checked all fuses and relays, none were blown. I replaced the F42 and F63 and Kk and Kl circuit 87 relays just in case.
- removed the left dash fuse box to check for corrosion, none found
- Inspected ECM wiring for damage- none found. moved/ squeezed the ecm harness wiring all over while trying to start it
- removed ECM for inspection, looks and smells ok, no noises or rattles from inside. Today I learned when the key in he ON position the ECM is getting very hot, the heatsink was 125 F and rising on my IR thermometer,

Current symptons
- No attempt to start
- ESP inoperative on dash
- radiator fan blowing on full
- ECM running hot (125F+) on heat sink

I have read some other threads with similar issues and it seems like I could have a bad ECM, the heat from the unit was alarming is that normal? Any direction or input is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:27 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Sik_Z33
Backstory: My 2007 w211 E350 (90,000 miles) died on me while going down the highway. I was at 50 mph when the dash lit up like a christmas tree and I had no power all of a sudden. Luckily I was exiting and was able to pull over safely. Once stopped I put the car in park and tried to restart and got nothing- no attempt to turn over. I had the "ESP inoperative see manual" error displaying on the dash, the radiator fan was running on full blast, and I could not shift the car out of park. Eventually I gave up and called a tow truck to bring it home where it has been suck ever since.

What I have done:
- I tried checking for error codes with my OBD scanner and can't connect to the ECU
- Battery was replaced last year and is reading 12.6V, I tried jumping the car just in case.
- checked all fuses and relays, none were blown. I replaced the F42 and F63 and Kk and Kl circuit 87 relays just in case.
- removed the left dash fuse box to check for corrosion, none found
- Inspected ECM wiring for damage- none found. moved/ squeezed the ecm harness wiring all over while trying to start it
- removed ECM for inspection, looks and smells ok, no noises or rattles from inside. Today I learned when the key in he ON position the ECM is getting very hot, the heatsink was 125 F and rising on my IR thermometer,

Current symptons
- No attempt to start
- ESP inoperative on dash
- radiator fan blowing on full
- ECM running hot (125F+) on heat sink

I have read some other threads with similar issues and it seems like I could have a bad ECM, the heat from the unit was alarming is that normal? Any direction or input is appreciated. Thank you.
its fried
Old 05-31-2019, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 e270 CDI
How you solved the problem?