Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduce Oil level Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Reduce Oil level Warning

New Mercedes owner with tons of questions, have already found this forum to be very helpful. My car is a 2003 SL55 AMG.
A new problem just popped up with the oil level warning lamp "reduce oil level" It comes on red but only lasts a few seconds and then off, it did this 4 times on a 40 mile trip. was not driving hard and temp was normal. Oil level check shows good when checking from the gauges. Dont have a Benz dip stick but used one out of my truck, pushed it in until it contacted the bottom of the pan and Oil Level was at 6 inches. I read where that is where it should be.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic; 2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
You might want to verify that your engine has one or two drain plugs. I think it may have 2. If that's the case - and only drained from one. It's most likely overfilled and the warning you are seeing is valid. You can't use the suction method if you have 2 drain plugs either.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by whittle
New Mercedes owner with tons of questions, have already found this forum to be very helpful. My car is a 2003 SL55 AMG.
A new problem just popped up with the oil level warning lamp "reduce oil level" It comes on red but only lasts a few seconds and then off, it did this 4 times on a 40 mile trip. was not driving hard and temp was normal. Oil level check shows good when checking from the gauges. Dont have a Benz dip stick but used one out of my truck, pushed it in until it contacted the bottom of the pan and Oil Level was at 6 inches. I read where that is where it should be.
when was the last time you had your oil changed, it was probably over filled. The oil level must be in a range not too high (can foam) and not too low. You can not use any old dipstick and be accurate. How many quarts does the dash display?