Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy 2001 Mercedes C240 [CA/USA]

Old 09-18-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n/a
Looking to buy 2001 Mercedes C240 [CA/USA]

Hi all! I've been told that you guys are experts in all things Mercedes-Benz...
I'm new to buying used cars so any tips/recommendations would be appreciated. I'm looking at buying a 2001 Mercedes C240, 171k miles, single owner, no accidents, regular maintenance for 2750$ CASH. I'm mostly concerned about future repairs, as I heard parts would be expensive (dealer has lifetime free service, so I'm only concerned regarding parts costs). Is there anything I should watch out for? Thanks y'all
Old 09-20-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi,

I've recently started working on my car, it's a slightly newer model than this with a different engine, but they're part of the same generation of C Class.

Here's some samples of what I have paid for parts:

alternator (Bosch refurbished): close to $300. So far the only item I didn't purchase from Mercedes.
brakes/rotors/wear sensor (OEM): around $450 (this is for both axles. I suspect the total for your car would be at least $50 cheaper, maybe more.)

These prices, might seem steep, but they're thanks to my MBCA membership. Other people find close or better prices on websites like oediscountparts.com. I'd recommend finding out what the lifetime service entails, you might be looking at MSRP pricing for parts or higher (and I'd suspect you would have to purchase the parts from them?). From what I understand, most dealerships make as much or more money from service than new car sales.

They're nice cars if you put the money in.