Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 420sel....is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 420 sel
1990 420sel....is it worth it?

Good day all!

I am seeking advice from more experienced owners. I have found a 1990 420sel for sale and I love it. It is black on grey and the body/paint is in great shape. The interior shows the average signs of wear, but no split leather, wierd smells, or stains. The car has 205,000 miles on it and the transmission is bad. The individual selling the car has inherited it and has no sentimental attachment to it. It has had 3 owners....the last being the one time owner of a mercedes dealership in Florida. The car has been sat up for at LEAST the last six months...possibly longer (current owner isnt sure). I have made a tentative offer of $900 for the car which was accepted as the current owner has no interest in keeping it and wants it gone. I have two weeks to decide if I really want it.

I did some research and am seeking advice on a few things. I realize these cars require constant maintenance and have no problem committing to that. I also realize that any work done (or finances spent) is going to be a labor of love and not necessarily of practicality. So having clarified that, my questions are as follows...

- Would I be better suited buying a used transmission and just replacing the entire thing?...or would I be better off to just have the current transmission rebuilt?

- What are the necessary steps I need to take to bring this car back to reliability, given that I am very limited in my knowledge of its maintenance history? (VERY limited) ....and of these steps, which should be my top priorities?

- What should I expect to spend, on average, to bring it back to complete road worthiness?

I am capable of performing the basic and regular maintenance, as well as some of the simpler repairs. The more intense repairs (ac repair, transmission, etc...) will be carried out by a local mechanic who is well versed in older Mercedes.

Having this type of car has been a dream of mine for 15 years.

So what do you think? Does it sound like its worth the investment?

Any advice or questions you may have are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks