Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control system menu not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 06:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S55
Control system menu not working

I have a new to me ( bought yesterday) 2005 E320 (w211) that has multiple faults, "Brake" in red is lit, check engine in yellow is lit and the big red "Brake visit workshop now" are all on. I'm not sure if the big red "Brake visit workshop" warning prevents access to the control system menus OR it is the computer, OR it's just the menu navigation buttons on the steering wheel, OR I'm just not doing the right procedure?

It could be the menu navigation buttons (page up & down & +/-) on the steering wheel are not working? If these buttons are fused, it could be a fuse issue? I do know that the right side radio/command control buttons work if that helps rule out a possible fuse issue?

I have tried searching the whole forum and can't find anything about this but I'm using the terminology "control system" that the owners manual calls this menu and that maybe why I'm coming up blank?

​Can someone point me to some trouble shooting threads on how to either get into the control system menus or diagnose the access problem(s) so I can get in to the control systems menu? (I can't even check the oil level until I get in to these menus).​​​​​​

Thanks
​​​​​

Last edited by Cambz; 01-23-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
It's not letting you do anything in the menus because the brake fault is urgent, it's not message for pad wear or a minor fault if it's red. Fix the brake fault and get the message off the screen and then you can access the rest. There is no on board diagnostic menu that will help you, you need to have the appropriate scan tools.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S55
Thank you AusMB tech, I suspected that.

I'll deal with the brakes, need to read fault codes and address.