Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithium Starter Battery fault, any way to revive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
merdeces s320
Lithium Starter Battery fault, any way to revive

I have a w222 Mercedes 2017 (bought salvage so no warranty). It has the Lithium Starter battery, super light and powerful

Had an electrical problem in the car which drained the electronics. Now the battery will not accept a charge.

Tried it in and out of vehicle, using some different chargers, even those supposedly good for reconditioning battery (CTEK etc)

Problem is it supposedly charges to 13.2 volts quickly (charger says its full), but when I hook it to car, it drops straight down to 4-5 volts (another battery works fine on the car)

When I connect it to a battery tester is says 98% charged, but 0% healthy and to replace. It shows the cranking amps as 50 (previous tests before it went faulty showed the cranking amps as 2650 even though the label said 750, I guess its something to do with the extra lithium power)

They don't seem very serviceable, they have one small sensor plug thats plugs into it, only one pin, sees to be the same voltage at the battery

Not sure if there are any companies that could fix it, I'm guessing possible problem with the electronic circuitry that manages the battery

Anyone have any tips on how to revive this please or if its even possible. Mercedes charge $2500 retail for these, hard to find used, even discounted its gonna cost me $1500

Last edited by terrymargate; 02-02-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 02-02-2019, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Yes, those lithium batteries way overpriced! Once they're gone, that's all she wrote.