Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 300 SE - Help! She won't start - DOA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 300 SE
Question 1989 300 SE - Help! She won't start - DOA

Any insight is absolutely appreciated. The benz has been stalling since early December. It putters out, then after a bit of a nap, or restful sleep, she turns over and runs like a dream-puff again.
Well, my mechanic replaced the fuel pump relay, and the crankshaft position sensor, and the fuel pump is fairly new as well. Only 117,000. I located a used Ignition Control Unit (thought to be the problem), but did not get the car to turn over (mine actually looked to be in fairly good condition in comparison). Should I consider a brand new ICU? It's rather pricey -- I'm so terribly torn and unsure what to do at present.
The car is just resting nicely in the driveway but looks lonely. When I try to turn it over, I do smell gas (fresh) from the rear exhaust, if that helps??? My mechanic of 17 years is not in the mood to try to tinker with the car, so I'm trying my best to find some answers and direction, if anyone can assist, I am deeply grateful. A lot of parts are still original, like the coil, etc..
Vin #WDBCA24D2KA455883 Original Part# 006-545-76-32 - Ignition Control Unit.