Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 C230K water in oil HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 c230 kompressor
2005 C230K water in oil HELP

I the oil I'm my 05 c230k is pretty milky, and theres oil in my coolant resivor, the car has 124 thousand miles on it, and it runs and drives great. I just bought it so, I dont know the service history. Any ideas on what I should do? I hear it can be seals behind the timing cover? Or the oil cooler gasket? Thanks
Old 03-06-2019, 06:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Are sure that its engine oil and not transmission fluid------please confirm!
Old 03-06-2019, 07:00 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Are sure that its engine oil and not transmission fluid------please confirm!
The car is a manual transmission? And I'm pretty sure it's not transmission fluid. It looks pretty oily inside the coolant resivor.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Than all you post makes sense, you have blown a head gasket. I wouldn't drive the car much more else you loose the engine.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:18 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Than all you post makes sense, you have blown a head gasket. I wouldn't drive the car much more else you loose the engine.
I'm not getting any other signs of it being a head gasket, no smoke, bubbling in the coolant resivor, and the car runs great. ???
Old 09-19-2019, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C230 Sedan
Originally Posted by Hnovak
I'm not getting any other signs of it being a head gasket, no smoke, bubbling in the coolant resivor, and the car runs great. ???
I’m having the exact same problem with my C230K. Was it the head gasket or something else?
Old 09-20-2019, 01:34 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by Collin Minor
I’m having the exact same problem with my C230K. Was it the head gasket or something else?
Theres an oil cooler bolted to the back of the block right above the starter, you have to pull out the starter and like extensions and I joints together to try to unbolt the oil cooler, the gasket in there can fail and cause cross contamination. I wasn't able to get it off because of how the bell housing blocks one of the bolts. Another place to try is seals behind the timing cover can leak. Or it could be a head gasket. I really just gave up on my car, so I sold it to someone who had the means to fix it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

One thing I did though was flush the coolant with just water and change the oil, that seemed to remedy the problem, then the additives and glycol in the coolant doesn't create a sludge when it mixes, it just evaporates off. As a last ditch effort, maybe try a good stopleak in the coolant and do a fluid change.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C230 Sedan
Originally Posted by Hnovak
Theres an oil cooler bolted to the back of the block right above the starter, you have to pull out the starter and like extensions and I joints together to try to unbolt the oil cooler, the gasket in there can fail and cause cross contamination. I wasn't able to get it off because of how the bell housing blocks one of the bolts. Another place to try is seals behind the timing cover can leak. Or it could be a head gasket. I really just gave up on my car, so I sold it to someone who had the means to fix it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

One thing I did though was flush the coolant with just water and change the oil, that seemed to remedy the problem, then the additives and glycol in the coolant doesn't create a sludge when it mixes, it just evaporates off. As a last ditch effort, maybe try a good stopleak in the coolant and do a fluid change.
I really appreciate the reply. I think I’m gonna just go with an oil change a month to be honest😂 I don’t drive it much and when I find an Infiniti QX56 I really like it’ll pretty much sit. I think it’s the oil cooler myself. Maybe that timing cover leak. I really don’t know at this point. It’s well used (187,000 miles) and in pretty decent shape. It’s Capri Blue Metallic, so a really nice paint color. I really couldn’t see myself getting rid of it if it is an oil cooler. Now that timing cover gasket or a head gasket, I’ll consider selling it.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (09-27-2019)