Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M272 Balance Shaft Codes - Dealer caused?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E250 (W211 E350 RIP)
Question M272 Balance Shaft Codes - Dealer caused?

W211 E350, M272 in the balance shaft "affected range", 105k miles

In December, I saw code P0015 (and no other engine codes, stored or active). I replaced the exhaust cam magnet/solenoid, cleared the code, and the CEL went off and has stayed off.

In February, I brought the car to an MB dealer to have the trans fluid & filter changed (not something I wanted to do), and while I was there chatted with the service advisor about the balance shaft issue on the M272 (knowing that I'm in the affected range, but have 100k+ miles on it without the shaft problem). His take on it was that there was a problem, but not every engine sees it (even in the affected range) - they don't see it terribly often (like they would if it happened on every M272 eventually).

I got the car back after the oil change and it reported "At next fueling, check oil level", so I immediately took it back to the dealer. They checked it and shrugged - if it happens again, bring it back in. It happened every time I started the car that day, but not afterward. I was still concerned, so took it back to the dealer for them to check it cold in the morning. They still shrugged, thought maybe the oil level sensor might need to be replaced, but the service advisor told me that they'd found a 1208 (P0016) stored code (which is one of the indications that the balance shaft sprocket has gone bad and expensive repairs needed).

That's weird, I thought. The only valve timing code I've ever seen on the car was the P0015, and that went away when I replaced the magnet, and I'd scanned the car a few days prior.

So I scanned the car, found the stored 1208/P0016, and find that the stored code happened at 104,556 miles. The invoice for the second visit to the dealer (the 'check it cold in the morning' visit) shows an incoming mileage of 104,554. So the 1208/P0016 code happened either *at* the dealer, or essentially as I drove out of the lot. The car now has ~1200 more miles on it, and there are no current or stored engine codes.

QUESTIONS:
  1. Huh?
  2. Is there any way my conversation about the balance shaft issue with the SA is connected to the car throwing that code?
  3. Is it possible the tech somehow triggered the P0016 (intentionally or otherwise)?
  4. Do I have the balance shaft issue? Do I not? Is it unknowable at this point?

Help, Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic; 2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
I’m venturing a guess at pure coincidence or that you’re right at the tipping point. How many quarts were listed or were you charged for? Should be 8 qts minimum - possibly 8.5. I can’t figure how or why they would even go about setting the code or triggering it. 1,200 miles without the code reoccurring is a good sign - however, I would find the YouTube video that details what sensors to pull and put the engine at the specific timing and check for the alignment of the cams to truly know.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E250 (W211 E350 RIP)
Originally Posted by kjb55
I’m venturing a guess at pure coincidence or that you’re right at the tipping point. How many quarts were listed or were you charged for? Should be 8 qts minimum - possibly 8.5. I can’t figure how or why they would even go about setting the code or triggering it. 1,200 miles without the code reoccurring is a good sign - however, I would find the YouTube video that details what sensors to pull and put the engine at the specific timing and check for the alignment of the cams to truly know.
I'm sure the oil level is right, not sure what the amount listed on the invoice is (but that's not necessarily related to how much oil they put in minus how much oil they took out).

Rather than coincidence, maybe it's just that the test drive they took was ... more aggressive than the way I drive?

Re verifying the timing by removing the sensors at 305*, it's on my list of things to do. But if no codes are being set over 1200 miles, I can't imagine that the visual inspection would show a gross problem. Would it?
Old 03-28-2019, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic; 2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
The way they drove the car would not have an impact, plus I don't think a 2006 E350 would get railed on a test drive like a late model AMG. I agree - no codes for 1,200 miles, I wouldn't expect the visual inspection to reveal anything. I'd wait for the code to re-appear, if it ever does.