Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 W203 help needed! Dealer cannot figure out problem :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2003 W203 help needed! Dealer cannot figure out problem :(

I took my 2003 C32 w/ 10k miles into the dealer because a malfunction re: the SRS came up on my dash display. In addition to this malfuntion, the following 3 malfunctions popped up within about 5 minutes after I started the car.

1. Display Malfunction - Visit workshop w/ a Lighning Bolt Icon
2. Display Malfunction - Visit workshop w/ a light bulb icon
3. SOS Malfunction- Visit workshop

In addition, my dash cluster would lose power for about a second at a time and the low fuel, highbeam and another light would all light up at the same time and then go out, at the same time I get this power loss to the dash:

My headlights would turn off
My turn signal would stop working
My interior overhead light would go out as well
My navigation screen goes from blue to yellow and back

..all at the same time.

I took the car into the dealer.. MBZ of long beach, 10 days later they gave me the car back after replacing the ignition key switch. They told me everything ran through it and they put in a new one.

209-545-08-08 Switch Replaced

Comments: 10445 EIS Control unit intermittently INOP- W93 checked and corrected. All DTV's found code B1075 CAN Communication and Code 9020 for CAN Communication w/ EIS. Replaced EIS Control unit

I've got all of the same problems still.. the tech says he has no idea what the problem is now..

Anyone ever seen or heard of this?

Last edited by scmguru; 07-01-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by scmguru
I took my 2003 C32 w/ 10k miles into the dealer because a malfunction re: the SRS came up on my dash display. In addition to this malfuntion, the following 3 malfunctions popped up within about 5 minutes after I started the car.

1. Display Malfunction - Visit workshop w/ a Lighning Bolt Icon
2. Display Malfunction - Visit workshop w/ a light bulb icon
3. SOS Malfunction- Visit workshop

In addition, my dash cluster would lose power for about a second at a time and the low fuel, highbeam and another light would all light up at the same time and then go out, at the same time I get this power loss to the dash:

My headlights would turn off
My turn signal would stop working
My interior overhead light would go out as well
My navigation screen goes from blue to yellow and back

..all at the same time.

I took the car into the dealer.. MBZ of long beach, 10 days later they gave me the car back after replacing the ignition key switch. They told me everything ran through it and they put in a new one.

209-545-08-08 Switch Replaced

Comments: 10445 EIS Control unit intermittently INOP- W93 checked and corrected. All DTV's found code B1075 CAN Communication and Code 9020 for CAN Communication w/ EIS. Replaced EIS Control unit

I've got all of the same problems still.. the tech says he has no idea what the problem is now..

Anyone ever seen or heard of this?
It's obvious there is a CAN communications problem... what is causing it may be difficult to track down. If the EIS has been replaced, then let's assume that one is good. There may be a short in the wiring from the EIS to the CAN termination block. There could be a short in ANY of those wires. I believe there is a procedure in WIS for tracking down those errors, but if there isn't, I would go about troubleshooting this by removing each device from CAN until the error disappears. Unfortunately, disconnecting some items may cause problems, so it has to be done with some knowledge.

-s-
Old 07-01-2004, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the reply.. thank goodness for the warranty. I'll take it back in next week.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:29 PM

Just an update from a private message I received asking if this was fixed. Yes it was, it turned out to be a bad sunroof switch that was sending some funny data through the bus. Dealer popped in a new upper switch console (sunroof) and no problems since.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:41 PM

2005 c230 kompressor
schguru! i have the same problem with my car. i was told by my mechanic that it was my rear sam since all the problems mentioned above where linked to the rear sam. Within 48hrs , the problem recurred on my 2005 c230. I went to another mechanic who said i should buy a new battery which i did and the problem occured again. i had my alternator sorted out because some noise was coming from there. Now the noise is gone after the broken 'borris' and worn-out carbon brushes were replaced. The battery is charging alright. The problem still recurred after all these so i dicided to see under the steer and i realised that some or most of the wires to the EIS were bare hence touching each other; thought the problem was due to short circuiting and i removed and rearranged all the fuses on the car. Today whiles driving through a heavy rainfall these problems exactly as you have described above happened again. Now, i believe that either the tapes i used to cover the bare wires are out or there is a hidden place where the short circuiting is taking place that i am not aware of. i have parked the car now. I have also replaced the rear sam with my old one. I am still at a lose at to what is causing the problem! Please help!