Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airmatic issues???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 s500
Airmatic issues???

Hello, I have a 2001 s-500. Anyway I let it sit for a few months in bad weather, it actually had 2 feet of snow on it for awhile. When I went to start it the battery was dead and the front end had completely dropped. I did recondition my battery and it seems fine now but the airmatic car to low light came on in red. The compressor used to turn on right after I would start the car but now it takes awhile to kick on and when it does kick on it seems to do nothing. As far as lifting the front struts. I can't hear any leaks and I did the soapy water thing with nothing obvious. A few days later I jacked up the front end to let the struts (stretch out) started the car with it in the air and the warning light went off. The compressor seemed to kick on like it had before. I thought I was good to go. Wrong! As soon as I put the car back on its own weight it dropped all the way down again. Also the red warning light came back on. I've replaced the relay, checked the fuse (good) now the car is sitting with scissor lifts under the front end so it's not digging into the tires. Im sure the struts are ok because a mechanic checked them and said they had recently been replaced. Can anyone guide me the right way. I will replace the compressor and or the valve if need be. I just don't know where to go from here? One other thing is since recharging the battery my key fob will not open or lock the doors? No idea if it's a related problem. So frustrated! I spent less on the car/ wheels and paint then what I was quoted to replace the struts. The rear seems fine by the way. It sits just right, it's the front only. (So far). I'm not much of a mechanic but am willing to try whatever before taking it in. Thank you. Any advice will help.