Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W209 (CLK) Wiper troubleshooting Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 CLK 350 Past: 2007 C230
Question W209 (CLK) Wiper troubleshooting Question

Hi,

Have a new to me CLK 350 with dead windshield wipers. I understand the process to diagnose is

1: Check fuse + power @ fuse box
2: check power @ Wiper Motor
3: Check Wiper relays
4: Check column switch

Question - How do I check the relays? There are two.

And how do I test the column switch?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,936 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
A way to see if you have a bad relay is to buy a new one and see if it fixes the problem. Not strictly a test, but ruling out by process of elimination.

Another suggestion is to use a multimeter on the relay contacts in the fuse box/SAM. However I don’t know if some relay contacts need to be in place to test the circuit so this may not be 100% successful.

Can you pull the power connector off the motor and access the contacts with a multimeter?

Checking other items requires the wiring diagram to see where cables are terminated. Or pull the harness off the switch, if accessible, and use a multimeter.

Common theme here is a multimeter. I like my old Fluke, purchased about 10 years ago but it is the decades-old design.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 CLK 350 Past: 2007 C230
Originally Posted by chassis
A way to see if you have a bad relay is to buy a new one and see if it fixes the problem. Not strictly a test, but ruling out by process of elimination.

Another suggestion is to use a multimeter on the relay contacts in the fuse box/SAM. However I don’t know if some relay contacts need to be in place to test the circuit so this may not be 100% successful.

Can you pull the power connector off the motor and access the contacts with a multimeter?

Checking other items requires the wiring diagram to see where cables are terminated. Or pull the harness off the switch, if accessible, and use a multimeter.

Common theme here is a multimeter. I like my old Fluke, purchased about 10 years ago but it is the decades-old design.
Thanks Chassis, I'm going to check for voltage @ the motor and will report back.