Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter won't go into P, any ideas? CLA45 AMG w117 [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA45 AMG
Exclamation Shifter won't go into P, any ideas? CLA45 AMG w117 [VIDEO]

Hello!
I have a cla45 amg and, It seems like that it cannot recognize if it's being put in "Park".

When we press the "P" button, the actual gearbox goes to Park, and we cannot move the car. but the "brain" won't recognize it for some reason, and just keeps flashing with the "ECO" Button that turns ECO on/off.

Everything else works with the gearbox, except this issue.

diagnostics told us that the park brawl solenoid was faulty, which we replaced, but it's still malfunctioning :/

And it's draining the battery overnight because it just keeps trying to go to "P".

I would truly appreciate all the help I can get.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glvA...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-12-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45 mit optionz; MS6 8 port & stuff
So you have a sent command that cannot be achieved

1 did the solenoid actually recieve the command

2 if recieved, and acted upon, (which you have presumably corrected with the replacement)

3 command rec'd, acted upon, but the intended effect has not been noted by the ECU (or you)

perhaps some bit of debris is inhibiting the mechanical action
or whatever the solenoid is meant to actuacte is mechaniaclly bound up

you may be able to jiggle the handle here by taking advantage of that annoying autopark feature

with it all warm and what not, let it be rollin forward at a slow creep, and open the drivers door.

don't do that while sipping coffee

repeat while creeping in reverse

see if that has any affect

typed with zero ***

Old 12-12-2019, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA45 AMG
Thanks for the reply Meicalnissyen.

We have checked the gearbox oil pan, and also removed the internal ECU for the gearbox, no debris.

I have tried to do the rolling forward, and open door while doing so, and sometimes, just sometimes, it stays in P for a few seconds, but then it goes back to "N" on the display (Although the gearbox is actually in P, and we cannot move the car)

Last edited by danielmedvec; 12-12-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45 mit optionz; MS6 8 port & stuff
ok, wow

Let me be clear, in case my snytax did not make it so.
I have not taken apart any merc.
I have delebritlately avoided repairing any automatic, as that requires a similar skill set to hittinga 4 iron consistently.

that said, if a mechanisim trys to do its normal funtion / motion, succeeds and then reverts without command,.... Then one should look for components that are in place to either conterforce to the motion, or components meant to hold a mechanisim in place.

something this sopisticated it is still possible that there is a ECU pathway that fits the symptoms, but I would be leaning more towards a weak spring on a pawl, a wallered out hole or deformed pin. no clue what physical method merc uses. another thought, is the console shifter itself. I drove a loaner during my fluid change an the loaner was a gla250. and the shifter is a nice cupholdeer on thqat car. the shifter is a stalk on the colum. all that means in this context is that something directly involed in your issue is WAAYYY less common than normal, such that the possibility of a failure there being commonly seen enough to warrant inspection gets close to zero. whats the production ratio between 250's and 45AMG, WITH the AMG options.

so the lack of a TSB mebbe not such a suprise if the issue lives outside the pretty common box, but rather in the fairly rare method of actuating it.....

WAGs in the wind