Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual tranny troubleshoot on a '73 240d

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manual tranny troubleshoot on a '73 240d

hello all,

a 1973 240D owns me and i really want to get it back on the road. I'm having a very specific problem and i'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

here's the story:

a few weeks ago my battery went dead and I had to leave the car sitting until last night. so, i go to crank her up and everything is fine. Then i push down the clutch to put it into 1st from neutral and i can't get it into first. so, i turn her off. when the car is off i can put it into any gear. then if i start the car with the clutch depressed, but in gear, i can release the clutch and the gear engages and off we go. once it engages, i can no longer change into another gear. i'm confused. someone please help.
thanks a whole lot,
daniel
Old 07-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible clutch peddle adjustment problem "too much free play" before the clutch catches, depending on what type of operating system it has ie:- cable/hydrolic if cable then adjust it up, if hydrolic then bleed it last resort new clutch needed