Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W208 CLK55 Strange Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 E55, 2005 CL65
W208 CLK55 Strange Transmission Issues

Just picked up a 2002 CLK55 AMG. Did the whole test drive / shakedown thing before I bought it and it seemed fine. This thing is an animal!

After my first stop on the way home I put the shifter in D and had a very delayed engagement...close to a full second. Pulled back into the parking space and I could not repeat the issue. It drove absolutely fine for the next 50 miles.

Next issue, I bumped the shifter down to 4th gear on the freeway for a quick pass without flooring the accelerator pedal. It went right into 4th and displayed a 4 on the gauge cluster, but it wouldn't go back to D. It also would not go down to 3, even though I slowed down to about 40mph. While rolling, I shifted the trans into N for a few seconds and then back to D. It had the same delayed engagement I had in the parking lot (except I was rolling). I pulled over and again was not able to repeat the delay problem. It drove fine the rest of the way home, although I did not try bumping down to 4th gear again...trying not to tempt fate!

I'm well versed with cars...30 year hobby mechanic with about 5 years experience with W210 / W208 / W211 / W163. I had a working Carsoft V12 but the multiplexer died, so I'm awaiting my first SDS. I have service records showing a changed conductor plate and cannon plug, plus a couple of trans fluid services over the years (among other things). Car has 132k on it. Motor mounts were replaced last November. I believe it was well kept based on the carfax and service records. No check engine light or other weird behavior.

My gut feeling is that something is wrong with the shifter...maybe something was spilled in it. Can it be cleaned, or does it have to be replaced? Is there something else amiss? What do you guys think?

I have not cross posted this anywhere. If this thread is in the wrong place, mods please move it to the correct one. Thanks
Old 02-12-2020, 08:24 PM

1999 E55, 2005 CL65
No one has any ideas or comments about this?
Old 05-01-2020, 08:48 AM

Clk55 - E500 - XF3.0 - Range Rover
Clk55 2003

Hi,

I have just purchased a 2003 w209 clk55 and having the same problems, 143k on clock. Have had a 98 C43 amg with 150k on which had the same gearbox issues, probably the same 5spd auto box? I'm getting it looked at next week and will alert you of the outcome, unless you got it sorted?

Thanks
Lee
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 11:00 AM

1999 E55, 2005 CL65
Not yet. Just been living with the problem for now. It's annoying, but I'm always able to get it going.

Actually I'm a little surprised I've had zero replies on this thread. With the amount of members here you'd think there would be some at least. Makes me think I posted this in the wrong place or something.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:12 PM

Received 237 Likes on 164 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
First, the floor shifter does not control engagement into D. This is done by the transmission control module by actuating the needed solenoids. Have you checked your transmission control module to make sure it is not contaminated with transmission fluid. Have you checked proper fluid level and quality of fluid?? I don't see these transmissions that much any more in my shop so I forgot if there is an adaptation you can do for P>R and N>D.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:36 PM

1999 E55, 2005 CL65
Thank you MBENZTECH

I will look into that. I haven't had the TCU out of this car yet. I believe it's inside the car behind the passenger side kick panel. Definitely more difficult to access than my W210 E class cars! Will also change my fluid, even though I have a receipt for this service under a year ago. Who knows what fluid they used or if they even installed the filter properly or whether they replaced the connector plug. It wasn't the dealer or a European shop as far as I can tell.