Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W211 won't crank - intermittent

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4Matic
W211 won't crank - intermittent

2008 E350 won't crank. We let it sit for a few seconds and it starts normally. Problem started 6 -7 years ago and seemed to be a winter issue (we are in Connecticut). last year it got so bad that we took it in to our mechanic and he said the starter was bad. $600 later the problem seemed to be solved. Now it's starting again. I changed the batteries in one of the keys thinking that may be it but it still happens regardless of what key we use. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 08:37 AM

E350 4Matic
Update - tried replacing the start relay (Relay L) with no improvement. Next up is a 5+ year old battery. I really don't think that will be a help but at 5 years old, it's getting up there in years.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:07 AM

E350 4Matic
further update - it's not the battery - new battery - same issue. I did see a video that suggested cleaning the ends of the keys and the matching "window" in the dash. The keys were relatively clean but there was a little smudging on the dash window - It did start first time after cleaning but it was started only a minute prior after battery replacement. We'll see what repeated attempts reveal. I think the crank position sensor/harness is next.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
If you have not already done so, consider replacing crankshaft position sensor. CPS can malfunction without CEL.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 02-17-2020, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 220cdi 2004
I have the same problem. Replaced battery and starter and checked fuses -- next is the CPS sensor
Old 02-17-2020, 08:20 PM

E350 4Matic
I think the problem is solved - and I'm still not sure I believe it. I changed the battery and the problem was still there. I turned the key and nothing. waited a few seconds - still nothing. Waited a minute and it started normally. I did hear a click when I turned the key that I am not sure was there with the old battery. But it still took 3 shots to start it. during all this, I was watching some youtube videos about key/start issues and stumbled on one about changing the key batteries. I had already replaced the batteries in one key but the problem was there regardless which key we used. At the end of the video, the guy mentioned cleaning the bottom of the keys and the "window" on the dash that the key displaces as it enters the ignition switch. The keys were clean. So I grabbed a q-tip and some windex and cleaned that little round red "window" on the dash. SOB started first try and has not missed for several days. We stopped counting after 15 consecutive perfect starts. Prior to that we never got 3 good starts in a row without the miss happening.

Thanks konigstiger for your advice - I will keep the CPS in my sights if the problem should re-appear.