Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight sensor, oil recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headlight sensor, oil recommendations

I have a 1991 MB 300sel with 211,000 miles on it.

question 1: Can sensors get a litte bit off in cars with this many miles on it? Everytime I turn my headlights on a sensor light comes on like something is wrong, but all the lights are fine. The only thing I can think that would cause the sensor to come on is that the passenger side headlight seems to be pointing up just a little bit.

quesiton 2: I'm running Castrol GTX high mileage 10w30 oil. Is this a good choice, or would a synthetic be better? A side note to that question - what is best for summer and winter. I'm in Missouri where both seasons have extreme heat and cold. With all the different opinions I've read and heard on oil types I'm not sure what is the best for my car.
(I'd check the manual, but there wasn't in the car when I bought it)

thanks!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Don't know about the sensor but there is plenty of oil information here http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html
Old 08-04-2004, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E430
Originally Posted by lefty800
I'm running Castrol GTX high mileage 10w30 oil. Is this a good choice, or would a synthetic be better? A side note to that question - what is best for summer and winter. I'm in Missouri where both seasons have extreme heat and cold.
I would stick with petroleum (conventional) oil with a MB with high mileage. The reason is that you might have some leaky seals that are being plugged up by some debris, and if you switch to synthetic, the higher detergency properties of the synthetic may clean out those debris plugs, leading to oil leaks. The general rule is that higher mileage vehicles that have been using dino oil all their life should stick with dino. Just change the oil more frequently, since dino doesn't last as long as synthetic. Figure 3000-4000 miles to be safe.

If you choose a correct multiviscosity oil for your climate, you can run the same type all year round. 10W-30 would be fine for both cold and hot temperatures, as would a 10W-40 or 5W-50.