Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Mercedes Benz AMG GTs
Check engine light

I recently purchased a 2016 Mercedes Benz AMG GTs with 10,300 miles. I drove the car for about 150 miles and the check engine light came on. I took it to my certified Mercedes Benz mechanic who ran a diagnostic that indicated a code for the Cam sensor bank 2 left and then cleared the check engine light. A few days later he asked me to bring the car back so he could double check it before ordering the new part. In the mean time the light came back on. On the second diagnosis the cam position sensor indication was not present amd instead was indicating occasional misfires in in a couple of different cylinders. He then formulated a new opinion that there might be a fuel problem as with such low miles the car may have been sitting idle for some time. He then recommended a fuel additive to about 1/2 tank of gas and again cleared the check engine light. I then drove the car for about 100 miles and the light came back on. When it hit reserve fuel I filled it with 93 octane. He hasn't gotten back to me yet with any recommendations for what to do next. In the meantime there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the way the car is running. I have accelerated it up to 120 mh. It is running smoothly with plenty of power.
Can anyone make any recommendations on how to ge the check engine light off permanently?
Old 07-30-2020, 08:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,161 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
How are your DIY skills or willingness to pay workshops? This car is a relatively early build 4L V8 which had check engine light and misfires as noted in the E63 section of this site.

Do exhaustive searching on this site, you will find good ideas to follow.

If you prefer not to pay a lot of money to repair shops, buy a XENTRY/DAS system, EPC/WIS and diagnose the situation. Then you can either direct a repair shop to the procedure you have researched, or do the work yourself.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Mercedes Benz AMG GTs
Thank you Chassis for the advice. I am not a mechanic and am not able to work on the car myself. I would like to have a hand held type code reader that I can use to decide if I need to take the car to a mechanic or if it is not serious, just erase to codes and turn off the check engine light. Is there an inexpensive brand name / model you can recommend for this?